Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  3
Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Post Thanks / Like

#3 (Light) Cotton Thread - what exactly is it?

Hi. It has been 20 years since I've crocheted, I am really rusty, and I have restarted by making [don't laugh] dishcloths out of #4 Cotton.

I notice in the yarn catalogues that there are yarns and threads that sure didn't exist 40 years ago, when I first learned to crochet as a teenager.

Anyway, I am now looking for a cotton yarn/thread that is lighter than the standard #4. I want to crochet a simple vest that recommends #4 Acrylic, but I want it in thin cotton instead.

I have found several brands of #3 Cotton, but I am not sure if they are all the same thing. One brand says "Mercerized". Would this have the same texture and uses as a #3 cotton that is just described as "100% Cotton"?

Does anyone here recall a now-discontinued #3 cotton thread called Speed Cro Sheen? It was pretty heavy, as I recall, and was mercerized. That is not what I want.

What would these two forms of #3 Cotton be used for? Hope someone here can come up with an answer! Many thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Good question Me Too. I'll be interested in seeing the responses you get. I've been crocheting for about 40 years, but nothing too difficult, and now I would like to try something new. I love the cotton, but don't know the difference either. We will find out together.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi, Nanna. Many thanks for your response. About #4 cotton, it is fairly heavy (but not mercerized according to the label) and just great for dishcloths. It makes the best dishcloths imaginable, even if you use a 70% cotton/30% linen mixture.

My thinking was that a #3 weight might be more suitable for a garment (little vest); for summer, I don't want to wear an acrylic vest.

So, let's sit here and wait for more knowledgable crocheters to advise us!

Post Thanks / Like
    When I work with cotton thread, it's usually size 10, which is commonly used for doilies/lace projects. To my knowledge, size 3 or 5 are considered "fashion" thread (yarn) sizes and summer clothing is usually made from these. This site might help - https://www.thespruce.com/understand...-sizes-4053169.

5. Thanks Lissacc, Susan2014 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi MeTool, Nann D, and Nova55 thanks for your posts I am glad you gave a link that I went to and got some patterns with pineapples that I love to do. Will be watching to see what other posts will come.
    Gloria

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the link. I think they are wrong, though. They say,

Size 3 and 5 crochet thread is about as thick as a lightweight yarn, with size 3 being slightly thicker than size 5. If you have trouble learning thread crochet, start with these large sizes of thread.

I think that this is a "thread" vs "yarn" issue where cotton is concerned. #3 is actually thinner than #4 or #5. #3 cotton yarn is classified as a "light" yarn. But when you are using the really thin doily-type thread (not yarn), then the larger numbers are thinner threads.

I think.

I found this info from yarncanada.ca just now.

Has anyone here made a garment out of #3 cotton yarn? (Not mercerized, which I think has a different consistency not suitable for garments, being more suitable for tablecloths, doilies, etc.)

Can anyone chime in here?

Post Thanks / Like
    I thought the smaller the number the thinner the thread.
    Gloria

Post Thanks / Like
    I use #3 and #5 for garments, and doilies, but I don't see a lot of difference. #3 yarn I find is more for baby clothes and lighter weight garments, but I stay confused when it comes to thread and yarn. I don't like #10 myself, it's too fine and for me hard to work with, but I am definitely not an expert. I just use what I have and see what it looks like. I used #3 thread for potholders and hot pads, and they were ok. I'm not a really good crocheter. I can make afghans with no issues but anything else is a struggle for me and designing anything is out of the question. I have to have a pattern and I wish I could read a diagram. I can read a simple pot holder or hot pad diagram but that's as far as I intellect will let me go, now anyway. I went to JoAnn's and asked the differences and no one could tell me. Cotton is really confusing to me. #4 is heavy, but #3 is not a lot lighter so I stay confused. I'll stick to afghans, and such.

Me Too, looks like there are a lot of answers.

10. Likes Susan2014 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    You and I are in the same boat, NannaD. I'm none too smart at reading patterns and in the past I've made - and worn! - some ghastly ill-fitting garments. Nobody said anything, though...

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Gloriamv View Post
    I thought the smaller the number the thinner the thread.
    Gloria
    Gloria,
    You are correct. In yarn the smaller the number the thinner the thread.
    In Tatting and crochet the larger the number the smaller the thread.

Spoula

13. Thanks Susan2014 thanked for this post