Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
    Post Thanks / Like

Need help with a knitting pattern

Hello all,
    I see a lot of helpful hints and answers to question on crochet but my question is concerning a knitting pattern that has some confusing rows. I am knitting a baby sweater in the basket weave stitch. The sweater is started from the bottom to the top. It starts with 11 rows of 1x1ribs. Then the basket weave pattern is a repeat of 8 rows. My question is once you separate the fronts, the sleeve areas and the back the instructions say to continue to work in pattern (which I am assuming is the 8 row repeat). The pattern says k2tog work to end in pattern, work 1 row (ws). This makes no sense to me as where do you k2tog? If you start on the row indicated that has a 5 knit stitch for the buttonhole bands then the basket weave pattern starts. If I do the k2tog before I start the pattern repeats I will have messed up the pattern completely.Also when it states work 1 row (one row of what)? The k2tog is on a right side row the work 1 row I presume is the next row that in stocking knit stitch would be a purl row but is not in this case.
    I have attached the pdf file for the sweater if anyone can answer this question I sure would appreciate it greatly as I so not want to pull out 60 rows and start something else.
    The question part is the Left Front piece.
    By the way I am new at knitting learned the stitches by watching you tube videos.
    Spoula
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello - I do not personally knit, but I know we have members who do.

Bumping the thread to keep it actively seen! Thanks for your patience!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Barbara G. View Post
    Hello - I do not personally knit, but I know we have members who do.

Bumping the thread to keep it actively seen! Thanks for your patience!
    Thank you Barbara,
    I really hope somebody understands this pattern. I did look on the Internet and some other ladies ask questions about this too but they were not replied to. So I don't have any help with this. The pattern is really cute and looks easy to do but without clear instruction it makes it difficult.

Spoula

Post Thanks / Like
    It's a pretty sweater! The pattern says you need dpn's (double pointed needles). I would guess that the dpn's are the holders but I think you could use anything for a holder. I don't know that much about knitting.

Post Thanks / Like
    On row 11 you have 146 stitches. On the Left Front the stitches add up to 146 stitches. Then the k2 together, etc. is the right side row and where it says work 1 row - that's the wrong side row. The way I read it the right side row is row 1 and the wrong side row is row 2. It looks to me like the K2together is the 1st two stitches of the last 35 remaining stitches on your needle. As I said I don't know much about knitting and maybe someone else can verify what I said and be able to help you better than I can.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jean Marie View Post
    On row 11 you have 146 stitches. On the Left Front the stitches add up to 146 stitches. Then the k2 together, etc. is the right side row and where it says work 1 row - that's the wrong side row. The way I read it the right side row is row 1 and the wrong side row is row 2. It looks to me like the K2together is the 1st two stitches of the last 35 remaining stitches on your needle. As I said I don't know much about knitting and maybe someone else can verify what I said and be able to help you better than I can.
    Thanks for responding Jean Marie, (for someone who doesn't knit you did pretty good) Yes the pattern uses dpn this is to knit the sleeves in the round so that you don't have to sew a seam from under the arms. By using 3 or 4 dpn it makes the sleeve round and easier to knit. Or you can use scrap thread and knit as you go. I have several holders that look like large safety pins that close to hold the stitches so you don't loose them. Odd numbers in knitting are the right side and even numbers are the wrong side ( unless the patterns states differently). (you are correct) The entire sweater is only 146 stitches. I knit on straight needles which you knit from right to left and all the stitches go from your left needle to your right needle. Then you turn and you are now on the wrong side of the row. The k2tog cannot be the first 2 stitches nor the last 2 because the first 5 stitches at the front and the last 5 stitches are buttonhole bands. Also when you break out the stitches after 54 rows ( I am at row 16 WS) you are in the middle of the 8 row repeat. So do you work in pattern for the next row repeat? Or do you start the repeat at the beginning (row 13-20). That is the question "what row" should I be on when it says work 1 row (ws)? Which of the 8 rows of repeats would that be? ( I am thinking to start over at row 13 RS the ws would be row 14). Now I just need to figure where the k2tog goes.

I try to knit to keep to my mind sharp and to challenge myself. (it's not working) ha
    I really appreciate your help and thanks so much for replying to my questions you are the best........
    Spoula

Post Thanks / Like
    You are awesome Jean Marie, I have been up this morning since 4:00 am trying to figure out this issue. I just reread your post and missed the part of your reply right in front of me. I had my mind blocked by the pattern repeats. I just looked again at the picture and YOU ARE CORRECT (you said, It looks to me like the K2together is the 1st two stitches of the last 35 remaining stitches on your needle). I am knitting from right to left and the first 2 stitches of the remaining 35 would be right after the 4 stitches of the arm hole. This makes sense as the k2tog is the shaping of the arm hole.

Thank you so much,
    Spoula

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm glad I could help Spoula.

Post Thanks / Like
    Jean Marie,
    Well I just wanted to let you know that I finished half of the sweater and the pattern is pretty. However I pulled it all out and changed the needles to a smaller size and started over so that the weave in the pattern would be closer together. So far it looks nicer. If I continue and like the look I will post a picture if I still don't like it I will try something else.

Again thanks for your help.
    Spoula

Post Thanks / Like
    I am copying this pattern, what a beauty. I figured the k2tog were just armhole decreases.
    I guess I'll find out more when I start this sweater myself.