Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
    Post Thanks / Like

What Symbols mean

When you buy yarn from the store the yarn label says whether or not it's washable and dryable or if you can use an iron. What does the symbol A mean?

Post Thanks / Like
    Jean Marie - where is the symbol located? This may help us more to determine the answer to your question.

Post Thanks / Like
    The label that's on the Lion Brand pound of yarn. On the label it has a 4 for medium although the yarn is thinner than the 4-ply.
    It shows a picture of a J size crochet hook and the picture next to it I assume would be knitting needles but the picture looks like the point of a knitting needle and the back or other side of a nail instead of the point of a nail that you hammer. Below that it shows pictures that you can wash and dry your item not to bleach or iron your product. After the picture of the iron that has an x through it is a picture of a capitol A with a circle around it. I don't know what the ply of the yarn is either.

Post Thanks / Like
    Could it mean Acrylic?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by spoula View Post
    Could it mean Acrylic?
    Good guess but I looked it up on Google and found this:Yarn Laundering Instructions: Lion Brand Yarn Company but what does the picture on the label by the crochet hook mean? It looks like a point of a knitting needle and the end of a knitting needle.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jean Marie View Post
    Good guess but I looked it up on Google and found this:Yarn Laundering Instructions: Lion Brand Yarn Company but what does the picture on the label by the crochet hook mean? It looks like a point of a knitting needle and the end of a knitting needle.
    Thanks for sharing Jean Marie,
    I didn't have an A within a circle on any of my yarn covers. I never would have thought off dry cleaning yarn made items. I live in the south and the weather is very mild so we don't use wool too much. When I lived in Europe most of the yarn had some percentage of wool in them.

Again thank for taking time out to answer questions many folks may not have thought to ask like me and passing that information to everyone here. You are so nice.

spoula

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Spoula,
    Thanks. I still don't understand why the label has a 4 (medium) on it when the yarn is thinner than a 4-ply. I couldn't find what the ply is on the yarn label. It says machine washable and dryable and the picture of the wash machine above this says 86 F (farenheit) and below the picture of the wash machine it has 30 C (celcius). I would guess that's the temperature of the water but does that mean to wash it in warm water?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jean Marie View Post
    Hi Spoula,
    Thanks. I still don't understand why the label has a 4 (medium) on it when the yarn is thinner than a 4-ply. I couldn't find what the ply is on the yarn label. It says machine washable and dryable and the picture of the wash machine above this says 86 F (farenheit) and below the picture of the wash machine it has 30 C (celcius). I would guess that's the temperature of the water but does that mean to wash it in warm water?
    Hi Jean Marie,
    I agree with you it's confusing to have the label state a 4 (medium) when the yarn is much thinner. To be safe I would wash in warm water or cool so as not to shrink, stretch or fade.

it is a conundrum,
    Spoula