Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  3

Post Thanks / Like

How do you decide on your color layout?

Do any of you use some type of computer program to help you decide the layout of colors you want to use in your project?
    Or maybe some other process (graph paper and map colors?)
    I have trouble deciding, for example, do I want color A as a base with color B as the accent color, or visa-versa. Or, maybe even a 3rd color added in right here..how would that look?
    Last edited by Chanzie; 03-17-2017 at 04:24 PM. Reason: Typo

Post Thanks / Like
    Usually, I just see what is available in the yarn colors. Recently, I found out about the following free tool online:

https://color.adobe.com/explore/?filter=newest

3. Thanks bristol2002, cybarra thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks.
    I struggle with how I want to place the colors in the project - White hat with one green stripe or white hat with a thick green stripe and 2 thin green stripes...maybe make the thin stripes in a 3rd color...the list goes on and on. I would like to play with the color layout before I invest so much time making the project.

Post Thanks / Like
    Trial and error, I cant tell you how many projects I've pulled apart because of poor color choice.
    Never thought to find a program to do it! what a wonderful idea!!!!

6. Likes Barbara G. liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    After I decide what I am making, I plan out the pattern in my mind. For big projects, I write it down. For a granny square blanket for example, I pick the square(s) I want to use and then decide on a color scheme. Usually I'll make a sample with the colors I've picked out just to make sure the colors look well together. Sometimes I've found it helps to pick a theme for the overall project to help narrow down the color choices. Like, seascape or forrest or whatever. I also try to keep my colors to the same pallet. Earthtones, pastels, neon etc.

8. Thanks Chanzie thanked for this post
    Likes Nova55, Barbara G. liked this post