Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Post Thanks / Like

Please, will someone help me read pattern?? :-(

Please, I am at my witts end trying to figure out what this pattern for a clochet hat is asking me to do. I get the feeling there are some details left out that an absolute beginner like me would need to know. If you can translate it/spell out exactly what its asking me to do that would be great and I would be so so thankful!! :-) P.S. I've tried looking for similar crochet instructional videos on youtube but so far none actually helps me figure out what to make of my specific pattern instructions...

[I'll put my questions in brackets]
    Instructions:

Crown

Rnd 1: With RS facing [Right side facing what? Right side facing me or the right sideS facing each other], sl st in first st of upper edge of band [I'm almost confident that I know what this is referring to but please feel free to explain this as well if you feel like it :-)], ch 1 (counts as st here and throughout) [I still don't know the significance of why a stitch would or would not count.], sc 79 sts evenly across row to end, sl st in beg ch to join for working in the round- 80 sts. [Because at this point, I'm still not sure whether the whole RS is supposed to be "facing" me or if the two right sides are "facing" each other when I begin the Crown section, the last line of this last part may as well be written in Chinese].

If someone can help me that would be awesome!! Below I'm transcribing the instructions without my questions so it'll be easier for you to read. THANK YOU SO SO MUCH, its a pretty hat and I would hate to quit before I finish!

Crown

Rnd 1: With RS facing, sl st in first st of upper edge of band, ch 1 (counts as st here and throughout), sc 79 sts evenly across row to end, sl st in beg ch to join for working in the round- 80 sts.
    Attached Images Attached Images Please, will someone help me read pattern?? :-(-image-jpg 
    Last edited by sprigofchicken; 02-04-2017 at 06:01 PM. Reason: Tried to add an image but won't work since I'm using my iPhone

Post Thanks / Like

Cool Reading Pattern

Quote Originally Posted by sprigofchicken View Post
    Please, I am at my witts end trying to figure out what this pattern for a clochet hat is asking me to do. I get the feeling there are some details left out that an absolute beginner like me would need to know. If you can translate it/spell out exactly what its asking me to do that would be great and I would be so so thankful!! :-) P.S. I've tried looking for similar crochet instructional videos on youtube but so far none actually helps me figure out what to make of my specific pattern instructions...

Instructions:

Crown

Rnd 1: With RS facing [Right side facing what? Right side facing me or the right sideS facing each other], sl st in first st of upper edge of band [I'm almost confident that I know what this is referring to but please feel free to explain this as well if you feel like it :-)], ch 1 (counts as st here and throughout) [I still don't know the significance of why a stitch would or would not count.], sc 79 sts evenly across row to end, sl st in beg ch to join for working in the round- 80 sts. [Because at this point, I'm still not sure whether the whole RS is supposed to be "facing" me or if the two right sides are "facing" each other when I begin the Crown section, the last line of this last part may as well be written in Chinese].

If someone can help me that would be awesome!! Below I'm transcribing the instructions without my questions so it'll be easier for you to read. THANK YOU SO SO MUCH, its a pretty hat and I would hate to quit before I finish!

Crown

Rnd 1: With RS facing, sl st in first st of upper edge of band, ch 1 (counts as st here and throughout), sc 79 sts evenly across row to end, sl st in beg ch to join for working in the round- 80 sts.
    Crown
    Round 1: With RS facing [since you will be working in roundswhen you start out and through out pattern the right side of your work will be facing you, slip stitch in first chain (which would be the last chain that you did join to make your round) , ch 1 which counts as your first stitch , and singe crochet 79 stitches across your row (the slip stitch counts as your first sc crochet)[/B]

Post Thanks / Like
    Knowing that the chain counts as a stitch is important to make sure you have the right number of stitches as required for the pattern. Otherwise your rows will be off and won't end up looking the way you want it to. (Uneven)
    Last edited by KimberleyD; 02-05-2017 at 08:07 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks so much for your responses!

Quote Originally Posted by gwenbutrum@gmail.com View Post
    Crown
    Round 1: With RS facing [since you will be working in roundswhen you start out and through out pattern the right side of your work will be facing you, slip stitch in first chain (which would be the last chain that you did join to make your round) , ch 1 which counts as your first stitch , and singe crochet 79 stitches across your row (the slip stitch counts as your first sc crochet)[/B]
    Thanks for taking the time to help me, you're much appreciated :-) I want to make sure I get what you're saying straight:

1. From the outset of the project I should have been working in rounds. [Up to this part of my project, I haven't been working in rounds, the piece that I ended up with until the Crown section of the pattern has yielded a long rectangular piece.

2. Thanks for clarifying where I'll be starting, that was perfect!

3. And honestly, now that I know what RS facing means, I'm still not sure what this part is asking me to do:

sc 79 sts evenly across row to end, sl st in beg ch to join for working in the round- 80 sts.

My question for this part is:

1. What is meant by, "to join for working in the round"? At this point, I have a long rectangular piece that the pattern calls the band (Previously I've been following instructions in the Band section of the pattern to get to the Crown section where I am now stuck :-)

2. WHAT will I be joining "for working in the round"?

Thanks so much for your patience with my questions, lol, I know it takes a lot :-D

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by KimberleyD View Post
    Knowing that the chain counts as a stitch is important to make sure you have the right number of stitches as required for the pattern. Otherwise your rows will be off and won't end up looking the way you want it to. (Uneven)
    You're quite right and thanks KimberlyD!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sprigofchicken View Post

Instructions:

Crown

Crown

try to keep the tension the same, check your completed rows as you go. remember to make a nice straight edge you do a chain ( single- 2 chains,double - 3 chains, triple-4 chains, etc) then alway skip the first space

Post Thanks / Like
    Are you working in the round?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rmpbklyn View Post
    try to keep the tension the same, check your completed rows as you go. remember to make a nice straight edge you do a chain ( single- 2 chains,double - 3 chains, triple-4 chains, etc) then alway skip the first space
    THANKS for the reply!! I have been confused about this as well. What is comsidered the "first space". I'm been using whichever space seems to be right but I have never been certain of which space is first or second, especially when the instructions says something like "does not count as stitch" or "counts as a stitch".
    Hmmm...

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by gwenbutrum@gmail.com View Post
    Crown
    THANKS for responding!! Question: How would you interpret the phrase "for working in the round".

Thanks gwenbutrum

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by KimberleyD View Post
    Are you working in the round?
    Funny, I just asked about this. I don't know what that phrase means. Up to this point, my following the instructions has yielded a long rectangle shape the instructions refer to as the band. Can I assume I was supposed to end up with a long rectangle shape or should I have been "working in the round" from the start of the project (whatever that means)?