Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  11
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Post Thanks / Like

Understanding Patterns

Has anyone else noticed that a large number of really fun looking patterns on Pinterest are not in English ? I love looking for new things to make, esp if it's the pineapple pattern, that is my favorite pattern. But I've found that the majority of them are in another language, and there is no translation😒
    Thank you for allowing me to vent😖

Post Thanks / Like
    I know what you're saying. Russian, Japan, South American countries - they all have wonderful crochet. But if the pattern isn't in English or at least charted, usually I'm sunk. I've tried translating, but often that comes out so literal you can't understand what they're trying to say!

3. Likes nia0309 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Nova55 View Post
    I know what you're saying. Russian, Japan, South American countries - they all have wonderful crochet. But if the pattern isn't in English or at least charted, usually I'm sunk. I've tried translating, but often that comes out so literal you can't understand what they're trying to say!
    not an issue if learn reading charts. Crochet Chart Symbols | Welcome to the Craft Yarn Council

Post Thanks / Like
    Been there, and totally agree. And many Americans have expressed that same frustration.

6. Likes nia0309 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Any suggestions on how we can let them know how frustrating this is, and if they can possibly translate for us? I'm willing to help out anyway that I can.

Post Thanks / Like
    But isn't it so neat to think people of so many languages and cultures share our craft!!!

9. Thanks Nova55 thanked for this post
    Likes nia0309, spoula, dancingbaehr liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Suewin,
    I think it is absolutely wonderful, because there are some fabulous pineapple patterns out there that I would love to make; but it's so frustrating to see a cute pattern, and realize I can't make it because I can't translate it. Sadly English is my only language that I speak, read, or understand.
    So, I guess all I can do is just admire the lovely creations and keep it moving...

11. Likes spoula liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by nia0309 View Post
    Any suggestions on how we can let them know how frustrating this is, and if they can possibly translate for us? I'm willing to help out anyway that I can.
    I can help with the French ones I am from Qc, Canada
    Dora, not the explorer

13. Likes Nova55 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Have you tried using Google Translate?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Doramarie View Post
    I can help with the French ones I am from Qc, Canada
    Dora, not the explorer
    Hi Doramarie,
    I am glad to know you can translate in French. I tried Google Translate and it was not so good.
    spoula

By the way I love to look at the patterns from Russia, Japan and other countries as they are truly beautiful. Some times I think this art is dying in the USA along with sewing. It is cheaper and faster to buy then the pleasure and satisfaction of making it yourself.