Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  3
Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Post Thanks / Like

Yarn substitute for slippers

Hello,

I want to make these slippers but they are to sell and donate money to a charity. The sock yarn is VERY expensive, as is the bulky yarn. Can I substitute a 100% acrylic yarn for wool/acrylic blend?
    Here is the pattern link -

Ravelry: Quick and Easy crochet pattern - shoes Sport pattern by Natalija Puschkina
    Last edited by NancyMcQuade; 12-30-2016 at 08:40 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Those are cute! and should be fun to make.
    It will crochet up, and look the same with any other type yarn, the wool blends just seem to be more durable and softer.
    Maybe others will provide opinions as well.

3. Thanks NancyMcQuade thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    you can use blanket yarn size 6 i get it from fab.com i can get 3 pair of slippers out of one large skein it is made by bernat

5. Thanks NancyMcQuade thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    whoops---- that is fabric.com

Post Thanks / Like

Yarn vocabulary!

Thank you for the info. I went to fabric.com but it looks like I will need a little help here, being fairly new to yarn vocabulary! I found Bernat Baby Blanket Big Ball Yarn, 100% polyester, chenille Does that sound right? I am unfamiliar with what is meant with "Size 6" also. Is this for the sole or for the body of the slippers?

Post Thanks / Like
    hey nancy mcquade---thats what i use all the time the big ball --i use it for the whole slipper it makes them soft and cushy---jo anns might be having a sale-- also -lulu12

Post Thanks / Like
    it is chenille but not like regular chenille this is stronger

10. Likes Susan2014 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Sounds good. However it looks like it is quite thick as compared to the sock yarn the pattern calls for? Or is the picture misleading and it looks thicker than it actually is? Anything else you can think of that I need to know?

Post Thanks / Like
    i make slippers out of that yarn but mine are mary jane slippers---they also have a 3.5 oz size if you just want to try it but the smaller skeins i think come in pastels-my daughter has made the tennis shoe slippers out of the blanket yarn and they turned out very nice-hope this helps they also go inthe washer and dryer lulu12

Post Thanks / Like
    the size 6 is heaver than sock yarn--like red heart yarn you can get 3-4-5-6-