Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 First 12

Post Thanks / Like
    I make a loop and keep the working thread in back so when I yarn over and bring the thread through the loop it creates my first chain. I pull this first chain snug and dont count it a stitch unless I'm working in the round.
    O use a magic circle on hats and amis etc..

Post Thanks / Like

standing stiches

Quote Originally Posted by mash52 View Post
    I never heard of standing stitches. What is that?
    Those that don't know what standing stitches are. look at the tutorials they have on hooked on crochet. It shows you how to do standing stitches. You can also start crocheting with a foundation row, that is also in a tutorial. I have yet to try that but it looks like it would work nicely.
    Last edited by Jan64; 10-31-2016 at 04:57 AM. Reason: more information

Post Thanks / Like
    I couldn't find the instructions on standing stitches.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have always used a Slip Knot. When you do your edging it covers the slip knot. I've never seen any other way to start your crochet, except for a magic circle.

I live in Euless Texas between Dallas and Fi t Worth
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jean Marie View Post
    When you start crocheting something do you start with a slip knot? I've read that a couple people (on a knitting site) don't use the slip knot to start. She uses a loop to start. I've tried that but when I get back around to where I started and am supposed to crochet in the slip stitch, the loop is hard to crochet in. So I've been using the slip knot although I don't like knots in my work but normally when you crochet you don't crochet in the slip knot.

I've also heard that you can take your slip knot out after you start your work. I tried that but don't want my stitch to come undone so I leave the slip knot there.

What I'm doing is Hairpin Lace - 1 strip=46 loops on each side and sc in the center and then sl st on the end of each loop and put 4 strips together to make a square and crochet a edging around the square. So if the stitch on the end of the square was started w/just a loop and not a sl knot then it would be hard to crochet the edging into that for the first stitch.

So, how do you start your crocheting?

Jean Marie
    I start with slip knot and then Db chain stitch to keep chain from stretching .

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by robritt@hotmail.com View Post
    I start with slip knot and then Db chain stitch to keep chain from stretching .
    Hi,
    What is Db chain?