Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
    Post Thanks / Like

ALMOST HAVE FINISHED THE AFGFHAN SINCE i BROKE MY WRIST

I am finishing the border on the afghan I started since I broke my wrist. I still don't have a good left wrist yet. I don't have a good grip in it with all my fingers. I am still hoping it will get better. I can use it but it isn't a tight grip on anything yet. It just does work for my crocheting. My thumb and the 2 fingers next to it won't bend like they should but I am able to get by I guess. I will keep doing the exercises they gave to do and hope for the best. I have a picture in the picture forum of the beginning of the afghan. I still don't know how to use this new computer to post pictures very well. Patty

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Patty,
    Good to know that you can crochet. I hope your wrist doesn't hurt anymore.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jean Marie View Post
    Hi Patty,
    Good to know that you can crochet. I hope your wrist doesn't hurt anymore.
    Thanks Jean Marie, I just finished the afghan a little while ago.
    No my wrist doesn't hurt anymore but I have a problem making a fist. When I get it into a fist it doesn't stay that way...I have to push it into shape and then it gradually opens up a ways.
    I have been making key rings with plastic canvas too. I am still in rehab for my shoulder. It started hurting after I got home from the nursing home. The doctor says that is not uncommon because of a fall like I had. I have carpel tunnel in my hand too. I guess when you have arthritis, it kicks up too. It is going to be a long time healing completely.

Did you see the picture of the afghan when I first started on it? It is in the picture forum....?I have a hard time with my pictures now on this new computer. And I also just got a new cell phone and will have to get used to it!
    Patty

Post Thanks / Like
    I hope your wrist continues to feel better and works perfectly again soon..

5. Thanks redhead thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Patty,
    I might have seen the picture of the start of the afghan but what is the name of the post?
    Jean Marie

Post Thanks / Like
    Speedy recovery!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by redhead View Post
    I am finishing the border on the afghan I started since I broke my wrist. I still don't have a good left wrist yet. I don't have a good grip in it with all my fingers. I am still hoping it will get better. I can use it but it isn't a tight grip on anything yet. It just does work for my crocheting. My thumb and the 2 fingers next to it won't bend like they should but I am able to get by I guess. I will keep doing the exercises they gave to do and hope for the best. I have a picture in the picture forum of the beginning of the afghan. I still don't know how to use this new computer to post pictures very well. Patty
    Hi, Patty. Don't give up on your wrist . . . don't let it get you down. I had tripped on a cement car stop in the parking lot at the airport several years ago. I knew enough not to put my hands out to stop my fall and rolled into a ball but ended up with a broken wrist anyway. It took quite a while to heal and trying to make a fist and all those other little things they teach you to do in therapy just didn't seem to me like they would work right. It was so discouraging at times. Especially since I was getting antsy about ever driving my car again. Five-speed manual transmission, and of course...it was my right wrist that I couldn't use! I really had to push myself to stay upbeat and not let the gloomies get the best of me. But I persevered. Actually, my wrist never did heal correctly. There is no way I'll let them rebreak and reset it, no way at all, lol!

9. Thanks redhead thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Poinciana View Post
    Hi, Patty. Don't give up on your wrist . . . don't let it get you down. I had tripped on a cement car stop in the parking lot at the airport several years ago. I knew enough not to put my hands out to stop my fall and rolled into a ball but ended up with a broken wrist anyway. It took quite a while to heal and trying to make a fist and all those other little things they teach you to do in therapy just didn't seem to me like they would work right. It was so discouraging at times. Especially since I was getting antsy about ever driving my car again. Five-speed manual transmission, and of course...it was my right wrist that I couldn't use! I really had to push myself to stay upbeat and not let the gloomies get the best of me. But I persevered. Actually, my wrist never did heal correctly. There is no way I'll let them rebreak and reset it, no way at all, lol!
    Hi Poinciana, Thanks for the encouragement. At least I can crochet and do plastic canvas and probably other crafts and thank God it is my left hand and I am right-handed so I know I will get by. It is the knuckles next to the finger-nails that wont bend like they should. And the one on the thumb too.
    I am getting ready to work on a card table that I made several years ago. I had covered it with contact paper which really was holding up pretty well as far as sticking on is concerned. It was getting pretty well marked up on top and wasn't very pretty. I am going to decoupage it with pictures from "Birds and Blooms" magazines. Probably will just repaint the legs. I would to subscribe to that magazine because they really have pretty pictures in it of birds and pretty flowers, etc. I will have to check to see how expensive it is. I looked thru then at the nursing home and they let me bring several of the home to use. They had a lot of different magazines that the patients can look at but when I mentioned what I wanted to do with the card table they let me have a stack of them. That was nice of them. By the way... I blame the cast on my arm for my problem...I( couldn't bend my fingers very well because it stuck out so far on my hand. Thanks again for your kind words. Patty

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jean Marie View Post
    Hi Patty,
    I might have seen the picture of the start of the afghan but what is the name of the post?
    Jean Marie
    The name of the post is: "What I Am Working On" ...and it is going to be in the pictures forum . Patty

Post Thanks / Like
    Patty, be happy it was your left. I had carpal tunnel and myoplasty (?) done on 8/23. I have 3 afghans that are almost finished. I can't crochet because the surgeries were on my right (dominate) hand. Therapy is helping but they still don't want me to crochet. So I feel your pain. The left hand will have the same surgeries in January. I just hope I can crochet then. Take care of yourself. Therapy gets better but it seems like it takes forever.