Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread: Hairpin Lace

Post Thanks / Like

Hairpin Lace

I'm doing Hairpin Lace but I have trouble getting it started. Sometimes the knot is not in the center or the loops are not tight. Has anyone ever done this? What about Broomstick Lace? Has anyone ever done that? I want to try Broomstick Lace sometime.

Jean Marie

Post Thanks / Like
    I am interested in trying hairpin lace, so I will be watching for any tips. Broomstick lace is much easier than you would assume by looking at it, it's a bit finicky at first but goes quickly. I have made many baby blankets in cotton for a lady with many kids, (each new addition got 2), alternating rows of broomstick lace with blocks of double crochet. I'm not sure if my method is correct as I saw a patient doing broomstick lace when I was 15 and a candystriper (teen volunteer) at a local hospital. Years later I made an attempt and liked the look.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by karenlatlas View Post
    I am interested in trying hairpin lace, so I will be watching for any tips. Broomstick lace is much easier than you would assume by looking at it, it's a bit finicky at first but goes quickly. I have made many baby blankets in cotton for a lady with many kids, (each new addition got 2), alternating rows of broomstick lace with blocks of double crochet. I'm not sure if my method is correct as I saw a patient doing broomstick lace when I was 15 and a candystriper (teen volunteer) at a local hospital. Years later I made an attempt and liked the look.
    Broomstick lace is really easy once you get started. There are several videos showing how to do this stitch and the finished project is very pretty.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hairpin Lace is easy;it's just getting it started(centered w/tight loops) that takes a bit more practice.

Last edited by Jean Marie; 08-08-2016 at 03:27 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I saw some videos on Broomstick Lace and one lady said that you can use a knitting needle for a Broomstick and another lady showed how to do a Broomstick Lace without a Broomstick.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jean Marie View Post
    I saw some videos on Broomstick Lace and one lady said that you can use a knitting needle for a Broomstick and another lady showed how to do a Broomstick Lace without a Broomstick.

Here is a picture of a beautiful cowl using the broomstick lace stitch ....Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Broomstick Lace #Crochet @Red Heart Yarns.. or your can google "U Tube broomstick lace" for videos showing how to do this stitch
    Last edited by craftson; 08-08-2016 at 07:39 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    About 40 or so years ago a friends husband was making Hairpin Lace looms using wooden dowels. I had never seen this type of crochet before, but wanted to try it. I have made several shawls, baby blankets, etc. using this same old loom. I must say I think the Hairpin lace is the more difficult of the two you mentioned, at least it is for me. Very time consuming.
    I love doing Broomstick Crochet too. It is so much quicker than Hairpin, but just as pretty in its own way. However, I have never used a dc when making Broomstick Lace. I've always used sc. I've never encountered a pattern that called for dc myself.
    Normally it is regular crochet I content myself with, although I do love working new and different stitches. I am wanting to use the Bouillon Stitch at some time in the future. It is different than usual crochet, but certainly 'do-able' for me I'm sure.
    At this young age of 74, I still have a lot to learn.

Good luck, and never stop learning,

The Hook and I

Post Thanks / Like
    I do broomstick lace. I am by means expert, but it is easy to do. All you will need to get started is a pair of large knitting needles -36 or more - depending on how large you want your lace to be. I used a large dowl which I cut into two pieces and taped the pieces together. Works just as well as knitting needles. Check out <www.mamainastitch.com/?p=644>
    passkey16

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by the hook and I View Post
    However, I have never used a dc when making Broomstick Lace. I've always used sc. I've never encountered a pattern that called for dc myself.
    The Hook and I
    the broomstick lace is just the loops with the sc, what I meant to say was that in between rows of broomstick lace I did several rows of dc, then another of broomstick lace.
    sometimes my explanations don't even make sense to me! LOL!
    Last edited by karenlatlas; 08-14-2016 at 06:11 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I saw somewhere (Pinterest, maybe) using 2 paper towel tubes with a pair of knitting needles or skewers poked through as a sort of handmade hairpin lace loom. You could try that to see if it is worth it for you to buy one

http://d-crochet.tumblr.com/post/317...e-loom]Crochet & knitting, make your own hairpin lace loom
    Last edited by karenlatlas; 08-14-2016 at 06:11 PM.