Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Post Thanks / Like

need help understanding a pattern

I started doing crochet about a month ago and understand all the abbreviations in English and American I have done a few patterns by following videos and have done 1 pattern from a magazine and was ok doing this so I ordered a pattern online it was a amigurumi pattern but I have trouble with one of the instructions. I have followed one of these patterns and increased fine with the right number of stitches but I do not understand this one. Here it is *sc,inc*, *2sc,inc*, *3sc,inc*, *2sc,inc*, *3sc,inc* sc [23].
    My last round had 18 stitches. I thaught *mean you repeat over and over what was in the * but I can not work out how 23 stitches come out of this.
    Hope this isn't to complicated to understand

2. Likes Susan2014 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Victoria44, Glad to meet you. I am not the best person to explain But ? More of instructions needed, I see sc,inc (Means you do 2 sc in one st . Does that make sense. *sc,inc* I to would think do 2 sc in each st across. How many chains was it to start? Susan2014

Me again Read again ??? sc,inc is in 1 row is that correct, then 2sc,inc in next row? Im not sure now. sorry DONT get frustrated, wait more gals will help. Good Luck & sorry Im no help. Hugs
    Last edited by Susan2014; 10-21-2015 at 08:01 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi I went to search and added crochet stitch charts, hers 1 of many. You may find better one thru this one

Crochet Abbreviations Master List | Welcome to the Craft Yarn Council

Post Thanks / Like
    Victoria there are only 22 stitches let me help by clearing it up for you sc, inc, 2sc, inc, 3sc, inc, 2sc, inc, 3sc, inc, sc [23]. the inc is 2sc in one stitch
    sc, inc = 3 stitches using 2 stitches

2sc, inc = 4 stitches using 3 stitches

3sc, inc = 5 stitches using 4 stitches

2sc, inc = 4 stitches using 3 stitches

3sc, inc = 5 stitches using 4 stitches

sc = 1 stitch using 1 stitch

so there is one stitch missing since you have 18 stitches in your last round and this only adds up to using 17 stitches. I would check to see if there is a correction to this pattern

as for the * * in pattern reading you would normally repeat. All I can say is ( not trying to offend anyone ) not all patterns are written correctly
    Last edited by MsBhaven; 10-21-2015 at 08:36 PM.
    God will never put more on your plate then you can handle.
    http://pinterest.com/eva64

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by victoria44 View Post
    I started doing crochet about a month ago and understand all the abbreviations in English and American I have done a few patterns by following videos and have done 1 pattern from a magazine and was ok doing this so I ordered a pattern online it was a amigurumi pattern but I have trouble with one of the instructions. I have followed one of these patterns and increased fine with the right number of stitches but I do not understand this one. Here it is *sc,inc*, *2sc,inc*, *3sc,inc*, *2sc,inc*, *3sc,inc* sc [23].
    My last round had 18 stitches. I thaught *mean you repeat over and over what was in the * but I can not work out how 23 stitches come out of this.
    Hi Victoria, I came up with 22 stitches. The first one - sc,inc = 3 stitches - There is a comma between the sc and the increase.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a question regarding patterns. Some patterns state that you can increase the size of item by adding "any multiple" of 2 +1 (or 4 +1, etc.) ; soo using the multiple of 2 +1, I want to increase pattern 5 more times, does this mean I would adding 10 stitches PLUS 1 stitch, or 15 stitches? I interpret it to mean the 10 stitches + 1 - thank you.
    Ruth

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by crochetbyruth View Post
    I have a question regarding patterns. Some patterns state that you can increase the size of item by adding "any multiple" of 2 +1 (or 4 +1, etc.) ; soo using the multiple of 2 +1, I want to increase pattern 5 more times, does this mean I would adding 10 stitches PLUS 1 stitch, or 15 stitches? I interpret it to mean the 10 stitches + 1 - thank you.
    Ruth
    Hi Ruth, you would work 2 x 5 =10, plus 1, so 11. You probably figured it that way too but I don't know where the 15 came from, lol!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jean Marie View Post
    Hi Victoria, I came up with 22 stitches. The first one - sc,inc = 3 stitches - There is a comma between the sc and the increase.
    Maybe the designer did a typo or has a correction someplace? I also got 22.
    Last edited by SusansSoulShines; 10-30-2015 at 09:41 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by victoria44 View Post
    Usually rep is used when it means to repeat *.* as in everything between the asterisks.. I write patterns but Amigurumi is one part of crochet I haven't had time to get around to fully learning yet, but I like it... good luck, I admire you for trying!
    Last edited by SusansSoulShines; 11-04-2015 at 05:09 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree with MsBHaven.
    I come up with 22 stitches. If there is a stitch at the beginning before you start this sequence or after this sequence, then this will make 23 stitches.

single crochet increase = 1 single crochet, then 1 more single crochet in the same stitch or space
    sc, inc = 1 single crochet, then crochet a single crochet increase = 3 single crochet stitches
    2 sc, inc = 2 single crochet, then crochet single crochet increase = 4 single crochet stitches
    3 sc, inc = 3 single crochet, then crochet single crochet increase = 5 single crochet stitches
    2 sc, inc (see above) = 4 single crochet stitches
    3 sc, inc, sc (see above) = 6 single crochet stitches
    ---HarriEtta