Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread: untangling yarn

Post Thanks / Like

untangling yarn

Do you ever have yarn that sticks together in places where you have to pull them apart? Sometimes there's knots and sometimes there's something that looks like a knot or a piece of yarn that will slide off the yarn if you pull it w/your fingers/finger nails.

I tend to pull the strand of yarn through when untangling yarn ( and that takes a long time) instead of putting the ball or bunch of yarn through to untangle it but I do that too.

Jean Marie

Post Thanks / Like
    Untangling yarn is my most frustrating thing about crocheting! I do have a yarn winder so that helps but you still have to untangle it before you can use the winder. Anyone have tips that I haven't thought of?

Post Thanks / Like
    This may seem stupid & crazy, but I get a large bowl & pull the yarn & pile it by each pull so that it's a small kind of circle. This way I catch the knots, straighten them out & keep pulling & piling. Once the entire skein is pulled & piled I make it into a center pull ball. I have no more problems after that & this method works for me very time I do it. I can tell if I need to do this by how far I pull the beginning strand from the yarn skein. If it starts to snag I just take my time & do my piles. I hope this helps someone

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by missro007 View Post
    This may seem stupid & crazy, but I get a large bowl & pull the yarn & pile it by each pull so that it's a small kind of circle. This way I catch the knots, straighten them out & keep pulling & piling. Once the entire skein is pulled & piled I make it into a center pull ball. I have no more problems after that & this method works for me very time I do it. I can tell if I need to do this by how far I pull the beginning strand from the yarn skein. If it starts to snag I just take my time & do my piles. I hope this helps someone
    How I wish I could see how you do this! I'm a visual learner, so I'm not understanding your explanation very well. Maybe there's a video how to do this?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DonnaPBradshaw View Post
    Untangling yarn is my most frustrating thing about crocheting! I do have a yarn winder so that helps but you still have to untangle it before you can use the winder. Anyone have tips that I haven't thought of?
    Hi Donna! I was wondering where you've been lately! Here is a video to follow to make a center pull skein, either with a winder or by hand:

Talk to you soon, Susan

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the video

Post Thanks / Like
    me too! thanks susan soul shines!

Post Thanks / Like
    If I have a ball of yarn that is all tangled, but otherwise still very useful, I take a handful of the tangled part and loosely shake it. Then I start rewinding it and shake it out as I get to more tangled parts. It takes a little time, but it works for me. Hope this helps someone.
    Victori1724

9. Likes missro007 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DonnaPBradshaw View Post
    me too! thanks susan soul shines!
    You're quite welcome, nice to hear from you!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mash52 View Post
    Thanks for the video
    My pleasure, hope all is going well and that your crochet life is good!