Thanks Thanks:  22
Likes Likes:  55
Page 1 of 10 123 ... Last
    Post Thanks / Like

Crocheting Through Depression

Am I the only one who finds great comfort in crocheting, when I'm feeling so down and depressed? Four years ago, I went through a lot of tragedy in my life, and that was when I picked up my crochet hook again. At the time, I hadn't crocheted for about 20 years. It very quickly became my new passion.

Because I've suffered from major depression, debilitating depression, for most of my life, I know all about it. Some days, it's all I can do to focus on making a 6 inch square, or two. They work up quickly, and it makes me feel productive.

I'm curious about your thoughts on the subject of Crocheting your way through depression.

Hugs to all,
    Shelley

2. Thanks Susan2014, karenlatlas thanked for this post
    Likes kitty jean liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Depression can come from different things - feeling lonely, being stressed, medical issues ect. One of the best things to do is to work to change your FOCUS when feeling down. Crochet can be used to change our focus helping us to get our mind off of things, ect. Crocheting can give you something to look forward to and it can be VERY therapeutic!

4. Thanks Nova55, Susan2014, karenlatlas thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Smile Crocheting Through Depression

No, I also "Crochet Through Depression". For some reason, it help's me get through the day's and night's. Beside's you need to keep "BUSY".
    I really crochet up a storm around the Holiday's!! I make all kind of crocheted thing's!! But Some How it Help's work through the "The Rotten Way I Feel" and then in time I
    "It's Gone" I guess that's the way we handle Thing's, But IT WORK'S.
    Were all in it together, maybe differan t Problem's, BUT it WORK's. I FEEL IT'S GREAT THERAPY TO"
    Were better off doing Crochet then "We Become More Postive". And that's "A Great Feeling". You'll Know When That Happen's To You".
    "Just Remember Your A GOOD PERSON".

6. Likes kitty jean, missro007, karenlatlas liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Good morning Shelley,
    I, too, find great comfort with crochet. You are not alone.
    I have been a member of Crochet Talk for quite some time now but rarely post. I do enjoy reading the posts and looking at everyone's accomplishments.
    I had surgery on my right wrist last week and am finding it very difficult to crochet yet, thus not being able to "work through" this latest detour. Crochet is my best therapy for mostly everything. I have a box full of afghans to prove it and a very understanding husband!

8. Likes kitty jean, karenlatlas liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Greena

I love the way you used the term "detour". I find that just the handling of the yarn and the act of chaining start me in the right direction.

10. Likes kitty jean, Susan2014, karenlatlas liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I believe "If We Keep Ourselves Busy With Crocheting It Take's Our Mind's Into Crochet World!" and we forget about Everything... But Sometime's We need a Little push to Crochet and before you know it we've made something! I also read what's going on in Crocheting and People, it Help's!!
    I've been doing it for year's. No one ever told us, "Life can be Cruel". But in time, after "The Pity Party" We get right back to Crocheting cause it's our Therapy. I also got involved in making Jewerly! If you go to Utube you can learn. I can twist wire, I "Love Pounding The Wire1' it feel's so good. It doesn't cost much to start, buy just what you need at Walmart, or a Craft Store. (Make a list) or you'll spend More.

12. Likes kitty jean liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Shelley, I suffer from depression due to chronic pain. I have been through the Cleveland Clinic's pain mgmt program. It was very intense, and I learned a lot. I know how you feel, and crochet and a few other hobbies have saved me over the last many years. Not to mention my family. It is not easy, as if anything ever was. Crocheting let's my mind go to places that I don't have to think of anything but crochet. It also takes my mind off my chronic pain. Time goes by.

Hugs,

Judy

14. Likes vickat, little drummer, kitty jean liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Red face Crocheting Through Depression

I also have medical problem's. And got Very stressed out over it. It took me "Three Year's" til I could face it. As I kept on crocheting and making Jewelry. I have a suitcase full of Jewerly, from Sterling Silver Earring's, matching bracelet's, necklace's, brooche's and hair pin's. And back to 'Crocheting". It's just so comforting. Now I have Cowl's in all color's, Scarf's, Hat's, Afagan's, and made up Pattern's!! To Keep my mind off my medical problem's. I had gotten to stressed out also. But here I am, Sometime's I dip down, then my family remind's me, "Your Alive" and breathing on your own, what a Miracle!! and it is. after what I went through and lost three year's of my Life, were only human and Crap happen's.....

16. Likes kitty jean, Susan2014 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Pixieglitter View Post
    Am I the only one who finds great comfort in crocheting, when I'm feeling so down and depressed? Four years ago, I went through a lot of tragedy in my life, and that was when I picked up my crochet hook again. At the time, I hadn't crocheted for about 20 years. It very quickly became my new passion.

Because I've suffered from major depression, debilitating depression, for most of my life, I know all about it. Some days, it's all I can do to focus on making a 6 inch square, or two. They work up quickly, and it makes me feel productive.

I'm curious about your thoughts on the subject of Crocheting your way through depression.

Hugs to all,
    Shelley
    I do not suffer from depression but I know a lot about it because someone very near and dear to my heart struggles with it daily. However I am a very intense personality and my brain has always been set to permanent ricochet. Like a bouncing ball, it slams against the inside of my skull like a speeding bullet. I use crochet as a productive function to aid concentration, control and relaxation. Like I always say I crochet because it keeps me out of jail.
    Sharing is Caring. For Free Crochet Patterns Visit me at:
    http://idealdelusions.blogspot.com/

18. Likes kitty jean, Susan2014 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think it's wonderful that all of you also find relief and comfort in crochet. We all have ups and downs in our lives, it doesn't really matter that the details are different, it's all really the same for us.

I went through a lot 4 years ago. I lost my awesome brother to brain cancer (he was only 46), I had a broken engagement, someone broke into my home and stole every beautiful thing I owned, then I lost my house, I put my youngest son in drug rehab and then he moved out-of-state to finish high school, my appendix ruptured and I was out of work for 2 months, I had to put my dog to sleep, it just seemed to go on and on... and it all happened in about a 9 month time frame. There were lots of tears and frustration with life. There were also a lot of the "Why Me's?" I was in a pitiful state.

It was right after my brother died that I picked up crochet again. I started with making chemo hats in his honor, and to also honor all the wonderful people who stepped forward and emotionally supported us when Joey got sick. There were so many very special people who came into our lives during that very sad time for my family.

I get really down sometimes because all of my family lives out of state, including my 2 now grown boys, and I deal with a lot of loneliness. But then I have to remind myself how truly blessed I am. I have a wonderful job and I'm so very proud of both of my boys. I have a cute little place to live and I have 3 doggies now. LOL

Hugs to all,
    Shelley

20. Thanks Susan2014, Theresamae, Patt thanked for this post