Thanks Thanks:  22
Likes Likes:  55
Page 3 of 10 First 12345 ... Last

Post Thanks / Like
    How fun! My GD would love these items you have showed us! Great work! Where do you sell them? or do you? Susan, have you looked into a vibra trim machine? It's a machine that you stand on and vibrates your body and could help you alot! I don't sell them but we have one and it helps me and my son who has Chronic Fatague Syndrome. He feels that if he didn't have this machine he would be a lot worse. I'm sending some articles that you might want to read.

Vibration and Inversion Exercise Equipment: Do They Work?

https://www.hypervibe.com/us/report/...FQeOaQodCBEMtA
    Last edited by DonnaPBradshaw; 09-11-2015 at 07:13 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Gorgeous jewelry, Susan! I started getting into making jewelry and I made a few pieces. I had a lot of vintage estate costume jewelry that I took apart and reconnected it to make some very unique pieces. I also have tons of glass crystal beads and all the jewelry making supplies I could ever need. I have a gallon size empty plastic ice cream container with a handle that is absolutely stuffed full of jump rings and clasps. It's crazy the amount of supplies I have lol.

I'm like you, I've made handmade crafts my whole life. My mom taught me flower arranging and how to make big bows. I've made a ton of large flower arrangements over the years, and lots of beautiful wreaths to hang on my doors and walls. I've always wanted to take a ceramics class, but haven't gotten around to it. I'm too busy right now crocheting to do much else with my spare time.

Happy crafting!

Shelley

Post Thanks / Like
    Shelley, you've really had too much happen in a short while. That would depress anyone. Major loss in many versions. I give you credit for being so upbeat. I do turn to crochet to change my focus when I get down. I also love jigsaw puzzles for the same reason.

I, too, suffer from major depression. I was hospitalized last year, which was a terrifying experience for me, but I needed to be there. I find that crocheting helps me. There are times that I'm too blue to get started, but if I force myself, I can stitch my way back. I have multiple medical problems, and I'm in a panic state now because I need a pretty invasive spine surgery, and I'm worried that I won't be able to crochet because it's my cervical spine and I'll be in a collar that keeps your head straight. I'm trying to figure out a way to lift my arms to eye level...maybe pillows....and a very easy project.

Don't quite know why I'm nervous this time. This will be my second cervical spine surgery and I've a had a couple of levels fused in my lumbar spine. I'm dreading this one, maybe because I know what's involved.

Enough of that. I really should focus on the wonderful things I have in my life. My husband, my daughter and son, and my wonderful grandson. Truth be told, they are part of my stress at times, but I thank God every day that I have them.

Donna

Post Thanks / Like
    I have been crocheting for 50 years now and have always referred to it as my "sanity therapy". I also have depression through my whole life...ups and downs and crochet have always helped along with my embroidery, counted cross stitch, quilting, and sewing. I am so blessed to have so many talents and interests as I also read and enjoy jigsaw puzzles as wells as crossword puzzles and sudoku. I very rarely am bored. Plus I have great friends on CT. LOL

Post Thanks / Like

thx Shelley!

Quote Originally Posted by Pixieglitter View Post
    Gorgeous jewelry, Susan! I started getting into making jewelry and I made a few pieces. I had a lot of vintage estate costume jewelry that I took apart and reconnected it to make some very unique pieces. I also have tons of glass crystal beads and all the jewelry making supplies I could ever need. I have a gallon size empty plastic ice cream container with a handle that is absolutely stuffed full of jump rings and clasps. It's crazy the amount of supplies I have lol.

I'm like you, I've made handmade crafts my whole life. My mom taught me flower arranging and how to make big bows. I've made a ton of large flower arrangements over the years, and lots of beautiful wreaths to hang on my doors and walls. I've always wanted to take a ceramics class, but haven't gotten around to it. I'm too busy right now crocheting to do much else with my spare time.

Happy crafting!

Shelley
    Thank you very much Shelley, I like having conversations like this! Are you off on Fridays? I can't actually wear jewelry much because it hurts to wear any but the very light pieces. Years ago I slowly had to even stop wearing things like mascara, nail polish, anything that felt like it was heavy, it's one of many weird Fibro things. I've kept my hair short for years since it feel heavy when longer, but I'm trying to grow it out a little and it's driving me crazy! We have a lot in common tho, the main difference is you still work so have less time, and since I don't I have much more time to do the creative things. While I don't always feel great to do them, I have to keep time filled to keep from getting that 'what am I gonna do all day' feeling, altho battling pain feels like my 24 hour chore.

My career was in electrical engineering and I learned to do drafting at Tech College starting out on drafting board in the 70's and then went on to do it on computers when they 'took over', drawing electrical wiring and cable diagrams, layouts of lighting, media and phone outlets, and such as that, and calculating loads to meet specifications. But between dealing with pain, doing crochet & taking the classes to learn more, and with having a husband to spend time with, doing the usual housework & cooking, which takes me forever & hurts terribly (really wish I had someone who could do floors, I don't mind but I can't vacuum and that is one thing I have a lot of trouble with, and Dale has some left side injuries that make it hard altho he's the one tht does it now), my days are at least well filled.

That was intense and I had to focus and time went by fast every day, I loved my work and the income, and I miss both a LOT. You know, with jewelry, I learned quickly that they started coming out with really nice finished pieces that were cheaper than buying the materials to make them with! So that couldn't last for long unless I began soldering metal jewelry, and there is no way a clumsy person like me could do something that could burn me!

And I really loved ceramic work but I can't find anyone with clay, paints, molds or a kiln any more, and I don't even see anything about it online. Pottery yes, ceramics, no. It was great fun and I have some great pieces, my biggest feat being a set of 4 season plates to hang on the wall that I painted after they'd been fired, I could paint them at home and they didn't have to be re-fired after painting. It took me 3 months to do each plate, and I was by chance painting the spring plate in spring, then went on to fall in time for fall, and like that for all 4 - so they took me one year to paint all 4 seasons! The spring plate got cracked in a move one year & wasn't fixable, it made me sick because I can't replace it. I just hate that happened, but since we only have a long summer and a little winter here in the south, as you know, I only need 2 plates really, lol. See, I keep laughing at life so I don't cry!!

I had a ceramic friend and we shared paints & brushes, mixed our own, and went to the ceramic workshop together when painted pieces that had to be re-fired, and that was fun to have a friend to do it with! It would be like having a friend to crochet with, that would be fun I think, or to be involved with a group of crochet/knitters that meet in a LYS (Local or Little Yarn Store, not a chain), to work together and chat while we work! Lots of people do that when there's one near them and I'd love to have one nearby.

See if yall can read this, it's a page of crochet slang terms! On the keyboard', press the 'ctrl' key and the '+" plus sign key together to make any page larger, then ctrl - (minus key) to make it smaller, then you can read it better.

Crocheting Through Depression-crochetslangterms-jpg
    Last edited by SusansSoulShines; 09-11-2015 at 01:17 PM.

6. Likes little drummer liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SusansSoulShines View Post
    This is so true Barbara. Crochet is my therapy, and it seems it is for most of us! I often tell how it helps me focus on something good instead of letting the pain consume my entire life. I can hardly lay my head on a pillow at night due to pain, so I don't get a lot of sleep, even with my new CPAP machine, which I can't stand! So I don't sleep well or often. It's a true miracle that I don't have depression, from my long term chronic pain, back to the early suicide of my father, my mother now living in a special long term care home with Alzheimer's, and no family left for many heartbreaking reasons except for my God-send of a wonderful & very supportive husband.

The story is much longer and intense than that, but no need to go thru the horrible details of my life. It's been one tragedy to another, with some good in between. But I am strong thru Christ and gratefully have been able to refuse to let depression into my life. I do feel great sympathy for those who have it, because when something has a hold on you and never lets go, it is your cross to bear, and like Shelley said, we all have our different heartaches.
    Luke 9:23 ¶ And he said to them all, If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross daily, and follow me.

Many of you know that I live with debilitating chronic pain from Fibromyalgia and OsteoArthritis, and the 2 illnesses are in battle to see which can make me more miserable. I can hardly move these days between all the joint pain and every muscle, ligament and tendon between them screaming out 24/7, and yes, I do cry when I get overwhelmed by it all, but that just makes my head hurt worse, so I get over it and carry on. I had knee surgery from torn cartilage in July, but my other health problems made that injury worse than normal and I've had to use a walker for over a year now, but have been able to stop using it in my home now and use it only when I leave home, which isn't often... especially in the summer, which wipes me out so badly due to extreme temps affecting me so negatively. The constant edema in my feet and ankles has been horrible this year, but I had my heart checked and it seems to pumping well, so this new problem apparently stems from the pre-eclampsia I almost died from almost 40 yrs ago, so pregnancy problems in younger days can affect you forever. Great, like I need the past pain of 8 surgeries coming back to haunt me now on top of all of this.

I've always been a hand crafter, cross stitch, macrame, stenciling, painting ceramics, you name it. Creating things with my hands makes me feel productive and gives me one successful feeling of accomplishment after another. So when my pain caused me to stop doing everything, I became very lonely for creativity. One day my husband ordered me a beautiful silver & turquoise jewelry kit, with wire and a 3 in 1 tool. I thought I could no longer get into anything like that, but reluctantly I set about making a necklace, bracelet and earrings to match. In fact, I got lucky and when I called the company to ask about their wire gauge, they sent me another jewelry kit for free... so I made more! It felt really good, even tho being in the same position for long is hard and I'm never comfortable, but I really enjoyed it. For the first time in my life, reading just wasn't giving me the focus I needed, my mind was wandering when I read. So even tho jewelry wasn't what I wanted to do for long, I ended up with some awesome pieces, gave some gifts and sold some too, and my craving for creativity was back.

When I needed kitchen and bath towels and cloths, I knew that I was going to make them. It was really odd, because I knew nothing of the difference between knitting and crochet, but I chose crochet because it had only one hook. I knew that since I had made 2 granny afghans in high school. Luckily that was the best choice for me and for making the 'linens' I needed and still make to practice new stitches on, and now I make everything from cowls, headbands, shawls, designed a poncho, potted flowers, home decor by the handfuls, you name it! Crochet has saved me, and even tho it does cause more hand, wrist, arm and shoulder pain, I won't stop until I can't do it any more. I've taken pics of almost every single thing I've ever made, on my google+ page I uploaded pics of some cross stitch and decoupage, and here are the pics of some of my favorite pieces of jewelry to entertain you with:

Attachment 13583

Attachment 13584

Attachment 13585

Attachment 13586

Attachment 13587

Attachment 13588

Attachment 13589
    Susan your jewelry is exquisite. I am so sorry for all your troubles. I will pray that God will wrap you in his arms and give you the strength to handle what comes your way. Sending you (((HUGS)))

Post Thanks / Like
    Crochet---a deterrent from what's on my mind. Crochet---all that counting stitches, frogging, and more counting stitches keeping me focused on what I am doing. Of course, first and foremost, I pray and praise God a lot and all my fears and tears are instantly wiped way...I just have to remember not to pick my burdens up once He has given me grace and mercy.
    ---HarriEtta

9. Likes little drummer liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by nicholasdaniel View Post
    Shelley, I suffer from depression due to chronic pain. I have been through the Cleveland Clinic's pain mgmt program. It was very intense, and I learned a lot. I know how you feel, and crochet and a few other hobbies have saved me over the last many years. Not to mention my family. It is not easy, as if anything ever was. Crocheting let's my mind go to places that I don't have to think of anything but crochet. It also takes my mind off my chronic pain. Time goes by.

Hugs,

Judy
    Hi Judy, I'm sorry that you too have health issues that cause you daily grief, and this is where I'm so very thankful that I differ from so many ppl with chronic pain. Many Fibro / arthritic patients typically have depression, also other pain causes it, but for me it causes anxiety instead. I almost bounce off walls sometimes, even with medication, from nervous energy that I can't rid myself of with physical movement well enough to affect it. It's a nightmare, but I'm still glad I don't have depression, the anxiety makes me feel like I want to get away from myself, but can't of course do that. I have extreme sensitivities, sensory overloads to light, sounds, temperatures, things touching me including my clothes, it's all highly unusual feeling and sometimes I'm a lot more agitated and affected by this. I've gone thru many pain management clinics but do my own at home since there's no more they can do for me there. I got massage therapy and it began to irritate me, I just had to stop. I'm in a monthly controlled p.m. clinic now that manages my pain issues. We all have our own things to deal with, but dealing with our own problems I think can help others, at least we know we're not alone in this!!
    Last edited by SusansSoulShines; 09-11-2015 at 03:07 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice jewelry pieces.
    ---HarriEtta

Post Thanks / Like

depression

I have been crocheting my way thru some tuff times and well l find it very therputic for me. l have to get the most difficult one to do and it helps a lot. Each day is a challenge sometimes. Just breathe l say.....

13. Likes little drummer, Susan2014 liked this post