Thanks Thanks:  22
Likes Likes:  55
Page 6 of 10 First ... 45678 ... Last
    Post Thanks / Like
    Shelley and all who left a Reply I Applaude you. I dont know if I am or not Depressed as Im supose to have a Great hubby, son, 1 stepson talk to 4 x's a year (15 mins away)? Greatgrandson Benito 11 months now. My Dr says the counselor at office can talk @ me & get someone to visit me?? $$$$$ I just say Im to old now & been alone (no female companionship) 75 yrs so why now?? Besides my hubby would say why? & maybe 1 to 2 visits or I'd hear Blah Blah Blah !!. I feel I've rubbed my friendship off as I talk to who ever (loneliness) & lose that on-line so I pretend -- Im good at that. With illness last week & wrist break & surgery on it (how to scream on here?) Know what Im doing?? smiling & laughing as I am tired of hurtng heart & ETC. VENTED is Over ! God Please Bless all CT members who are in painof some kind even a stubbed toe as They are my Life Line to sanity THANKS Barbar G to you & that loving Family. Susan2014

Post Thanks / Like
    This is my first response to a discussion on this site and not sure what I'm doing. However, "crocheting as therapy" really strikes a chord with me, as I've been doing it for 15 yrs now, since my husband of 45 yrs passed away suddenly. Eight months later my mother passed away and 2 months after her, my 23 yr old grandson died of leukemia. All of this in a 10 mo. time span put me in a deep depression. For some reason, I turned to crocheting which, until then, was just something my grandmother taught me many yrs before. Now there's almost never a day that I don't pick up a project. I've made everything from pot holders to pirate ships. Having 27 grandchildren means a whole lot of toys over the years and I enjoy the fact that I can make something they can't buy in stores.
    I've told people many times that crocheting is therapy for me and I'm so glad to find that it helps others as well. There was a time when I didn't want to live but now,crazy as it sounds, I need to live long enough to make a fraction of the patterns I have collected. Also need to whittle down my mountain of yarn.
    Thanks to all of you who shared your stories of crochet as therapy - helps to know there are others with my addiction.

Pat

3. Thanks DonnaB thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Susan2014;175790]Shelley and all who left a Reply I Applaude you. I dont know if I am or not Depressed as Im supose to have a Great hubby, son, 1 stepson talk to 4 x's a year (15 mins away)? Greatgrandson Benito 11 months now. My Dr says the counselor at office can talk @ me & get someone to visit me?? $$$$$ I just say Im to old now & been alone (no female companionship) 75 yrs so why now?? Besides my hubby would say why? & maybe 1 to 2 visits or I'd hear Blah Blah Blah !!. I feel I've rubbed my friendship off as I talk to who ever (loneliness) & lose that on-line so I pretend -- Im good at that. With illness last week & wrist break & surgery on it (how to scream on here?) Know what Im doing?? smiling & laughing as I am tired of hurtng heart & ETC. VENTED is Over ! God Please Bless all CT members who are in painof some kind even a stubbed toe as They are my Life Line to sanity THANKS Barbar G to you & that loving Family. Susan2014[

Hi Susan! One thing that I can say for sure is that everyone has SOMETHING. You can feel alone in a room full of people. I've had that feeling, too. You'd be surprised where you can find counseling. You don't have to sign up for some expensive therapist. I ended up with my therapist/psychiatrist because I was inpatient and they wouldn't release me until I agreed to be compliant with my discharge orders. There are church groups that may be helpful, just to get out and see new faces. My church has a crochet group and it's almost like group therapy because you're doing something that calms you and people tend to share their own problems. You always have the CT folks. You can send me a message any time you want. Believe me, I'd love to hear from you.

Blessing to you, Donna

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DonnaPBradshaw View Post
    Dear DonnaB, this is so ironic! my last name is Bradshaw so we will really confuse other's with our responses won't we? I don't know if there are any support groups where I live but that's a good suggestion. I will look into it right away! Thanks for your prayers! I believe that praying does help. Have a great day and thanks for your concern. Donna Bradshaw!
    Hi Donna. It's true. We can really confuse things. My full name is DonnaMarie, but when folks call me that I think I'm in trouble. You know, when parents use the full name........trouble usually the reason.

I've been thinking about Brian, and of course praying for some relief for him. You know, when I was first diagnosed I was having a lot of sleep issues. I'd wake in the middle of the night and feel lonely and isolated. If you want some info re that, send me a private message. I'm happy to tell you whatever helped me.

Blessings to you, DonnaMarie

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by gigipat View Post
    This is my first response to a discussion on this site and not sure what I'm doing. However, "crocheting as therapy" really strikes a chord with me, as I've been doing it for 15 yrs now, since my husband of 45 yrs passed away suddenly. Eight months later my mother passed away and 2 months after her, my 23 yr old grandson died of leukemia. All of this in a 10 mo. time span put me in a deep depression. For some reason, I turned to crocheting which, until then, was just something my grandmother taught me many yrs before. Now there's almost never a day that I don't pick up a project. I've made everything from pot holders to pirate ships. Having 27 grandchildren means a whole lot of toys over the years and I enjoy the fact that I can make something they can't buy in stores.
    I've told people many times that crocheting is therapy for me and I'm so glad to find that it helps others as well. There was a time when I didn't want to live but now,crazy as it sounds, I need to live long enough to make a fraction of the patterns I have collected. Also need to whittle down my mountain of yarn.
    Thanks to all of you who shared your stories of crochet as therapy - helps to know there are others with my addiction.

Pat
    Hi Pat,
    I'm glad crocheting helps you. I'd like to see a picture of your pirate ship. Did you crochet it?
    Jean Marie

Post Thanks / Like
    I thought this was an interesting article about how crafting is good for mental health, and how it can help with depression.

Why crafting is good for mental health | MNN - Mother Nature Network

Shelley

Post Thanks / Like
    Dear Patt, I would love to have a long talk with you, but I can only say you are a very important person brought to this world for a reason - to raise your children, to make life decisions, and have right to be happy. Your sad experienced made you stronger, wiser, and don't forget, life is so precious to waste. I'm so glad you are wrote about your past, it helps many women to understand there is a hope and there is always way to get help. Love ya! Ada.

9. Thanks Patt thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by gigipat View Post

Pat
    Hi Pat, You definitely have many things to live for. You had way too much loss at one time. That is enough to put the strongest of us into depression. As you can see, we all seem to turn to the same thing for relief. As Shelley posted the other day, there are studies supporting the concept that crafting helps to deal with depression. I always have a few projects going. The tough ones I save for my "blue" days. If I need to really concentrate on my work at hand I'll forget for a while and usually that's all I need to change my mood.

Blessings, Donna

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Jean Marie,
    I did crochet the ship - it was for my grandson's birthday. I'm trying to figure out how to attach a picture here and not sure how to do it. If it doesn't come out right maybe someone can tell me how to do it.
    Pat

Crocheting Through Depression-crochet-projects-001-jpg

12. Likes Patt liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the kind words Ada.

Pat