Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread: Bamboo hooks

Post Thanks / Like

Bamboo hooks

When using bamboo hooks for crocheting do they need to be treated with any thing to make yarn it thread slide easier
    Thanks
    Debbie😄

Post Thanks / Like
    I have some bamboo hooks and the yarn glides very smoothly on them. I don't use them much, though, because they don't have the flat part for me to hold onto. The hooks "roll" in my hands and they're very frustrating to use. It's too bad, because they're beautiful. My mom gave them to me as a gift, and I know they were expensive.

Shelley

Post Thanks / Like
    I love my set of bamboo hooks. No I don't use anything special on them. I display them when I am not using them in a short glass vase.
    I did notice my hands get tired more when I used them, Sooo I wrapped a rubber band around the shaft in center and it seems to help.
    just remember to take off when you are not using the hook.

4. Likes missro007 liked this post
    Surrounded by the mountains of Vermont, USA
    Post Thanks / Like
    In my net window shopping, what I have figured out is that for bamboo hooks to be their smoothest they need to be CARBONIZED. They are bought that way. Maybe the hooks you got were NOT carbonized?

Post Thanks / Like
    My daughter gave me a set for my birthday last month & they do make ur hand tired. Thanks for the rubber ba d tip!! Gonna try that!!

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm also going to try out the rubber band idea on my bamboo hooks. I think it'll help me get a better grip on my hook. I hold my hook like a pencil so I can't make the rubber band part too thick.

Thanks again and Happy Crocheting!

Shelley

8. Likes missro007 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Pixie, try a small band first. On my biggest hook I use a medium rubber band and it spreads out perfectly.

Post Thanks / Like
    my hook is one from walmart if you hold it up and slowly turn it you will find a small flat part. at least mine did.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by knitpick View Post
    my hook is one from walmart if you hold it up and slowly turn it you will find a small flat part. at least mine did.
    knitpick, mine don't have the flat part. I think my mom paid a lot of money for them, she bought me 3 in sizes. They were a really nice gift.

Shelley

Post Thanks / Like
    sorry that they don't. my cheap one's I would try some sandpaper on. than clear nail polish. I know how much good one's cost my aunt bought me a set years ago (round) and I hardly ever use them for that reason