Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Surrounded by the mountains of Vermont, USA
    Post Thanks / Like

Soooooo frustrated!

I'm noticing that more and more crochet articles are not in written pattern form but in diagrams. Because I am no longer a spring chicken, my eyes CANNOT properly decipher what I am looking at. So many of the items are absolutely gorgeous, but I can't make them. Anyone out there know of how to translate these diagrams into written patterns?
    AND: am I the only one with this problem????

Post Thanks / Like
    you are not, BUT that said, the young folks today, which seem to be the crocheters of the future, prefer the diagrams. Only solution I can tell you is to get the pattern enlarged say at Staples or use a magnifier to help you. this is going to be the way of the future, and written directions are diminishing I am afraid. I grew up with them, and found graphs hard to read until I got a sheet that explained to me what the various marks stood for. I believe if you google you could find a chart to help you with that. will see what I can find for ya.

this might work

Crochet Chart Symbols | Welcome to the Craft Yarn Council

Understanding Crochet Diagrams: The Key to Breaking the Code

There is a link on this site that will get you the pdf for explaining the diagrams. Download it and use it well!
    Last edited by Shaddy; 07-31-2015 at 07:58 AM.
    Warmest regards, from Central Wisconsin!,
    Shaddy

Post Thanks / Like
    My old eyes can read a chart if the lines are sharp and it is big enough, but like you I find most charts just too difficult to see properly to use. Sometimes, if it is a pdf pattern, it can be increased in size and still be readable. Sometimes a magnifying glass is the only way to see the symbols properly. Unfortunately, I have just given up on trying some patterns because I cannot, even with a magnifying glass, see the symbols properly - and my glasses prescription is up to date, too.

I wish I had a friend who crocheted, because I'd ask her to write out some of these diagrams as directions for me. Perhaps sometime in the future, one of the techies will come up with a program to translate diagrams into written directions.

Post Thanks / Like
    Have you downloaded the pdf that explains the symbols for the stitches in above posting?Even me, who grew up with written directions, looked thru this, and see I am not doing too badly. There are times, when I do not do a triple crochet stitch, cuz I think it is too loose for the pattern. Try and experiment, does one's mind good to have some exercise sometimes, think you might even get so you could plow your way thru the diagrams patterns, start easy, and see what happens. Not so bad after all, I guarantee that, I hate change, just like everyone else! Start with snowflakes, and see where that takes you, and in the meantime, you might have some pretty things to use after all. Got lots of simple diagrams that I can send if you'd like to give it a shot? Gotta start somewhere, makes one feel empowered!!!!!!!
    Warmest regards, from Central Wisconsin!,
    Shaddy