Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  1
Page 2 of 3 First 123 Last

Post Thanks / Like
    Another reason for more colors is I'd like to do a tapestry crochet piece maybe a portrait or a close- up flower, like Georgia O'Kieff style. The more shades of each color, more dimension .

Post Thanks / Like
    A tapestry piece....like Georgia O'Keeffe?!!!! Oh, you don't challenge yourself too much! I tried to do a monarch in the intarsia style of crocheting, but it became obvious to me that I really needed more instruction than what I had at the time. So maybe some day.

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh, yes. I love the colors you're using for your cowl. I have always found combining colors so difficult, even with a color wheel and color theories it's still hard. And thanks for finding photos of the SD scarf and WB painting. Very interesting; perhaps you have found SD's inspiration?

Post Thanks / Like
    Actually I'm trying to learn how to do color combinations by practicing them . I may even copy SD combinations. On the tapestry- it'll be small, and I'll graph it out first or even use someone's cross stitch chart. I'll look at charts online until I see one I can tweak into a paint- by- number style chart.

Post Thanks / Like
    The hard part is what to do with all the ends at each color change. I'm a crocheter who would like to learn how to knit. Knitters who crochet don't ever tie knots but I do. I'd make it part of the pattern like a fringe if I could.

Post Thanks / Like
    In terms of ends, I usually knot them. I know you're not supposed to do that, but a lot depends on the yarn/thread being used and the pattern. I made a cowl with three colors and I was able to work in the ends by crocheting an edge over them. Sometimes the end is brought into the next row and just crocheted over with the new color, but that too depends on the yarn and pattern. I have seen scarves where the ends were used as fringe, on the ends as well as the long sides. But if you're using thread and making something very lacy, weaving in your ends can be next to impossible. I don't knit either, so I have no idea what they do with their ends!

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah, I've done all of those things, I agree it depends on the item and what looks best. I do a lot of lacy stuff in all white and join as you go to avoid ends, then I knot . I think knitters weave or sew the ends in and that takes more thread. Do knitters ever use thread? I mean yarn.

Post Thanks / Like
    So very lovely.
    ---HarriEtta

9. Thanks Kitty thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Very beautiful items....I love them

11. Thanks Kitty thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Heres a quick update on my progress. First, Nova 55 I didn't see your S.D. pattern thread (see Gorgeous Sophie Diggard nitro linen scarf )until today! Wow you've been doing this since 2014! I'm the newbie here. I've been busy crocheting dots and last few weekends have been crocheting them together, as continuously as i can, (the design of the join has been caused by trying to keep going forward without backtracking or having to cut thread and start over ).It has turned out to be more freeform than I expected. I've been using Lydias size 10 cotton, and the varigated Passionata color for the joining. Photo 1 is original idea and Photo 2 is a variation i was going to try doing the Australian dot pic in , at least the dots are . Got sidetracked into trying this join, took a pic , but will rippit and try joining like the pic , when i figure out how. The join (like a chicken wire fence) is one i like but not for this . I see a c.w. fence with daisies and leaves where the dots were, and somehow chickens and a rooster, for a kitchen curtain.
    Attached Images Attached Images Dying to get more colors-img_0201-jpg Dying to get more colors-img_0202-jpg 
    Last edited by Kitty; 08-30-2015 at 12:09 PM.