Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1

Post Thanks / Like

I need some help with a Granny square pattern.

I'm looking for help in understanding HOW to do this pattern.

Good and Evil Granny
    a crochet pattern
    by Danielle Day-Hines
    Notes:
    I use US terms and most of my abbreviations are standard and can be found here. Unique abbreviations will be noted.

Size: Using Light Worsted Weight and a G hook: 6.5″. Using Worsted weight and an H hook: 8″
    Feel free to check out my Color Change Tutorial and my tutorial for Weaving in Ends as you Go (Part 1).
    This pattern has been tested but I am still a beginner in formal pattern writing. Please, notify me of any mistakes or confusion and I will correct as soon as possible.
    Yarn and Colors: Most of my color placement was random and I used various balls of scrap yarn that had lost their labels. I did stick to one rule. I separated all of my colors in light colors, medium colors and dark colors. Dark colors made the shadows. I used the light colors in contrast to the dark colors. I used the medium colors to make the static center square design. I did make a few static squares using some of the light colors and it still works. I am currently using a mixture of medium hues to make a strip blanket and that’s working, too. The possibilities are endless and there are no rules. Changing colors, hues, arrangement, it all leads to something unique and you.
    For this pattern, I will be using 3 different colors to simply demonstrate where color changes should take place.
    You will be turning your work after EVERY round. This is very important.
    Special Stitches:
    ~ BegShell: SC, Ch1, 2DC
    ~ Shell: 3DC
    ~ CCC (Color Change Corner): With current color used, 2DC, YO, insert hook in same space, YO, draw up and loop, YO, pull through two loops on the hook, drop current color, YO with new color, pull through last two loops on hook, Ch1, Shell in same space with the new color.
    Colors used in this example:
    Color A – Turquoise
    Color B – Pink
    Color C – Purple
    Beginning: With Color A, Ch4, SlSt to first Ch to form a ring.
    Rnd 1: BegShell, Ch1 (Shell, Ch1) 3 times, SlSt to Ch1 of BegShell, this counts as your right side (RS), Ch1, Turn.
    Rnd 2: Wrong Side (WS) facing, BegShell, Ch1, Shell in last Ch1 space created in Rnd 1, (Shell, Ch1, Shell in next Ch1 space) 3times, SlSt to Ch1 of BegShell, Fasten off, Turn.
    Rnd 3: (RS) Beginning with Color B and RS facing, BegShell in any Ch1 corner space, Shell in the space between the next two shells from previous rnd (or next Shell Space). Shell, Ch1, Shell in next Ch1 space, Shell in the next Shell Space, CCC in next Ch1 space with Color C, Shell in the next Shell Space, Shell, Ch1, Shell in next Ch1 space, Shell in next Shell Space, Shell in starting Ch1 space, Ch1, SlSt to Ch1 of BegShell, Ch1, turn.
    Rnd 4: (WS) Continuing with Color C, BegShell in last Ch1 space made in rnd 3, Shell in the next 2 Shell Spaces, Shell, Ch1, Shell in next Ch1 space, Shell in the next 2 Shell Spaces, CCC in next Ch1 space with dropped Color B, Shell in the next 2 Shell Spaces, Shell, Ch1, Shell in next Ch1 space, Shell in next 2 Shell Spaces, Shell in starting Ch1 space, Ch1, SlSt to Ch1 of BegShell, Fasten off both colors, Turn.
    Rnd 5: (RS) With Color A: Beg Shell in any Ch1 corner space, Shell in the next 3 Shell Spaces, (Shell, Ch1, Shell in the next Ch1 space, Shell in the next 3 Shell Spaces) 3 times, Shell in starting Ch1 space, Ch1, SlSt to Ch1 of BegShell, Ch1, Turn.
    Rnd 6: (WS) With Color A: Beg Shell in any Ch1 corner space, Shell in the next 4 Shell Spaces, (Shell, Ch1, Shell in the next Ch1 space, Shell in the next 4 Shell Spaces) 3 times, Shell in starting Ch1 space, Ch1, SlSt to Ch1 of BegShell, Fasten off, Turn.
    Rnd 7: (RS) With Color B and in the same corresponding corner as Rnd 3, BegShell , Shell in the next 5 Shell Spaces, Shell, Ch1, Shell in next Ch1 space, Shell in the next 5 Shell Spaces, CCC in next Ch1 space with Color C, Shell in the next 5 Shell Spaces, Shell, Ch1, Shell in next Ch1 space, Shell in next 5 Shell Spaces, Shell in starting Ch1 space, Ch1, SlSt to Ch1 of BegShell, Ch1 Turn.
    Rnd 8: Continuing with Color C, BegShell in last Ch1 space made in rnd 7, Shell in the next 6 Shell Spaces, Shell, Ch1, Shell in next Ch1 space, Shell in the next 6 Shell Spaces, CCC in next Ch1 space with dropped Color B, Shell in the next 6 Shell Spaces, Shell, Ch1, Shell in next Ch1 space, Shell in next 6 Shell Spaces, Shell in starting Ch1 space, Ch1, SlSt to Ch1 BegShell, Fasten off both colors. Weave in all ends.

Is the pattern. Here is the picture of the squares.
    https://ddhines.files.wordpress.com/...715_144157.jpg

I'm a beginner crocheter, I normally knit, but I felt like I could figure this out since it only uses shells. Shells aren't that hard, but this pattern is HARD to figure out. ((Don't bother trying to find it, the person recently closed the blog, luckily I still have the link up.))

So I want to know if someone can help me figure this out cause quite frankly I've TRIED ten times and more in order to make it look decent, and it doesn't WORK. The way that this person is describing what to do, it makes little sense to me. So maybe we can work on it together, alter the pattern so I understand it, and then I can make this like its supposed to go.
    I've tried the complete shell, the single line to each stitch and it just... I don't know.Its hard to figure out what to do. I really could use the help I want to make one for my mother since I think she would really like it.

Post Thanks / Like
    It's worked in the round, you use your 'special stitches' the beg shell and the shell, to be worked at specified stitches. It seems the left out the abbrev SlS which means slip stitch. It's mostly straightforward, you form your ring in the line before Row 1, the continue in row 1. Where are you specifically having a problem craftyknitter?

3. Likes missro007 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SusansSoulShines View Post
    It's worked in the round, you use your 'special stitches' the beg shell and the shell, to be worked at specified stitches. It seems the left out the abbrev SlS which means slip stitch. It's mostly straightforward, you form your ring in the line before Row 1, the continue in row 1. Where are you specifically having a problem craftyknitter?
    It might help you to watch youtube videos that explain basic granny squares, you should be able to get the hang of this really quick if tou do that!