Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  0

Post Thanks / Like

Please help me understand these instructions

I have done quite a lot of crocheting but have never seen instructions written quite as confusing. The instructions are: Ch 3. 1 dc in first st. 2 dc in next st. (Skip next st. Ch 1. 1 dc in next st) 5 times. In other words, does it mean to dc 5 times in the next st or does it mean dc in the next 5 stitches? It goes on to say: Skip next 4 sts. (1 dc in next st. Skip next st. Ch 1) 5 times. Does it mean ch 1 5 times in the next st or ch 1 in the next 5 sts? Thanks for any help you can give to clear this up for me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Good morning, I hope I can help. It reads to me like a beginning of a v stich. I believe you would complete the step at the end of the bracket ) . Then repeat the directions again five times. Then after you have finished the five sections skip the next four sts. ect. I hope it works for you. I'd love to see the pattern to make sure. Just take a breath and try again. My grandfather used to say so you sew so shall you rip. Sounds like that applies to all things huh. lol Please let me know how it works for you. Don't frget enjoy

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you so much for your help. I am going to try that but I am sure it will probably work. Your grandfather was right...I sure do a lot of ripping. I will let you know how it works out. Thanks again!

Post Thanks / Like
    Dmwalker, you will start as pattern says.
    Ch 3 , 1 dc in first st, 2 doc in next st. Then as in brackets - 1. skip next st, ch 1, dc in next st. 2. Skip next st., ch 1, dc in next st, 3. Skip next st, ch 1, dc in next st. 4. Skip next st, ch 1, dc in next st. 5. Skip next st, ch 1, dc in next st. (You have now done the sts in the brackets 5 times). Then go on to skip next 4 sts, then again the sts in brackets- 1. 1 dc in next st, skip next st, ch 1. 2. 1 dc in next st, skip next st, ch 1. 3. 1dc in next st, skip next st, ch 1. 4. 1dc in next st, skip next st, ch 1. 5. 1 dc in next st, skip next st, ch 1. Now you have done the sts in the second set of brackets 5 times. Now follow next instructions.
    I hope this is clear now. We all have a first time in a pattern to stump us. Remember : the steps inside the ( ) are to be repeated the number of times indicated. Another time you may find it says - four more times after the steps in the ( ). The total would also be 5 times. Just another way of saying the same thing.
    I am no expert at explaining things, so ask about anything you still don't understand. Hope I have got them right and didn't goof up in copying what you have.

Post Thanks / Like
    Jheri: Thank you so much for clearing it up for me! You explained it very clearly so I could understand it perfectly. That way of doing it makes perfect sense and I don't know why it didn't enter my mind to do it that way. I'm so happy to have a place where we can ask questions and have someone help us out when we need it. Thanks so very much again!

Post Thanks / Like
    Dmwalker, so glad I could help. We all have to learn, or we go blank on something we do know and later say I knew that! We all have had to ask for help sometime. I have had help and am glad to as they say, "pay it forward". Happy Crocheting. Jheri

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by dmwalker View Post
    I have done quite a lot of crocheting but have never seen instructions written quite as confusing. The instructions are: Ch 3. 1 dc in first st. 2 dc in next st. (Skip next st. Ch 1. 1 dc in next st) 5 times. In other words, does it mean to dc 5 times in the next st or does it mean dc in the next 5 stitches? It goes on to say: Skip next 4 sts. (1 dc in next st. Skip next st. Ch 1) 5 times. Does it mean ch 1 5 times in the next st or ch 1 in the next 5 sts? Thanks for any help you can give to clear this up for me.
    Oh good, I see you got help for your pattern problem... just always note where the brackets and parenthesis are, people should write parts inside them that go together, then write parts outside of them that are separate from what is inside them.

You probably know that but sometimes instructions just look like a blank or foreign language, lol. I've been writing patterns and it is always best when ppl follow standards, but some ppl hardly know they exist (yet they write a pattern ppl can't follow well)... makes no sense. I've also been learning chart patterns too, whew, that is interesting but not as hard as I used to think. I find some patterns I like that are charted, so to follow them I had to learn.

I'm currently advancing my crochet abilities, which is a lifetime experience, but it's presently to learn to make tops of all kinds that fit well and are figure flattering, thru the Craftsy Crochet class! I'm posting about it under chat on here today.
    Last edited by SusansSoulShines; 06-14-2015 at 02:03 PM.

8. Thanks dmwalker thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Everything that is within the parentheses is to be repeated 5 times. That means, in the first one, skip next st 5 times, etc.). Hope that helps.

10. Thanks dmwalker thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    (sk next st. ch 1. 1 dc in next st) 5 times
    Repeat the steps in the brackets 5 times, progress forward, (do not repeat in the same stitch 5 times)
    ---HarriEtta

12. Thanks dmwalker thanked for this post