Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  1

Post Thanks / Like

6 Things That Make Crocheters/Knitters Cringe

2. Thanks Nova55 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I agree with most of this but what I hate most are the flaws in the yarn.....knots make me totally insane and then there are the lumps which I call caterpillars. I guess I hate the caterpillars because they waste so much yarn and often run in a series that consumes several yards of yarn. I usually cut out the whole strip because if I don't then I have a lot of KNOTS (@#$#(%^$ = angry superlative) I never knot my yarn so I have all those extra ends to secure and work in which uses even more yarn. But yarn barf does not bother me. I do have the patience to untangle it. The trick is never pull it tight. Start with the strand coming from the skein and pull back from the barf gently, while winding around the end of the skein. If it snugs up, gently loosen the yarn to free it up.
    Sharing is Caring. For Free Crochet Patterns Visit me at:
    http://idealdelusions.blogspot.com/

Post Thanks / Like
    OMG! OMG! OMG! Yes! I agree with EVERYTHING! Specially when someone calls my crocheting knitting and when corrected they ask if it's the same thing. Grrr! I do have the patience to un-barf my yarn barf but it does mildly irritate me because I remember when all yarn was pull from the center with the yarn end sticking out of the center and easy to pull. I've never had anyone ask me to make them something for free but I give away most of what I make anyway. If they are looking for something specific to give as a gift, I probably have something close to it in my finished project stash. I charge accordingly but I don't crochet to order. Also I don't crochet to make money, I crochet because I love it. Knots in the yarn? Yep, bugs me big time. Start a project and after a few feet of yarn BAM! I get hit with a knot, untie it, retie so it has ends long enough to weave in and continue. Then a couple more feet of yarn and BAM! another knot. Yeah, really bugs me. Did I say I love crocheting? Yes, I really do.

Post Thanks / Like

6 things that make crocheters cringe

I can't knit, while trying to learn I quite litterally almost poked my eye out. Grandma said "crocheting will be easier for you and there is only the one hook to hold" I soon bybassed her abilities but I am so thank full she gave me the love of crocheting.
    Yes people do the same to me all the time, "what you knitting?" I smile and tell them, "I can't knit, I'm not coordinated enough to handle two needles". Most just say oh and leave it at that. Some press and I just let it go, not worth the effort. Just tell them what I am making.... But I love the spoon/fork comparison. I'm gonna have to tuck a spoon and a fork in my work bag. HA HA!
    Yarn Barf's, so that is what they are called? Never knew, just cussed profusely and gently untangled the mess.
    Yarn size. that one really bothers me. I've learned to just steer clear of those brands. Not worth the headache and the heartache of a almost 1/2 finished project that looks so goofy.
    Not getting compensated..... oh that one is at the top of the list. I don't crochet as a business but I do get asked make items frequently. If it is small and not a lot of work, I don't mind. But if it is big project or takes time away from my making gifts then yes I want to be paid. I'd say about 1/2 know how much time and effort go into a project, the rest have no clue and think I can just "Whip" it right out like magic.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, Yes, YES!!!! I've been told that I should just "whip something up" when I needed to buy a gift. If I could whip it up, I'd be a machine. Sadly many people don't realize what goes into hand made items. I love crocheting and it helps to keep me calm when I'm feeling anxious. (which is quite often).

I find that some of the extra large skeins of yarn seem to be internally knotted more often. (That's my diagnosis for yarn barf.) I recently say a video on the Crochet Crowd's site that shows yarn being spun into skeins. After seeing that it's a miracle that we don't have more slubs and knots in our yarn. I guess if they were more careful while spinning the skeins it would end up costing us more. Still there's no reason for there to be a lot of imperfections in one skein.

7. Likes Lissacc liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLavenderChair View Post
    When people ask for something to be made if they buy the "yarn" or fabric, or hand you something to be altered, etc. you know you are with a person who doesn't craft, knit, crochet, sew, etc...It happens ALWAYS to those who make wonderful things by hand. I always offer to teach them how to do it themselves...xxxo