Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: hole punch

Post Thanks / Like

hole punch

I'm looking for the tool that will put a hole in a kitchen towel to crochet a topper on with

Post Thanks / Like
    You can buy a rotary wheel for punching holes in fleece and towels. I have one similar to this, but I haven't used it yet.

Amazon.com: Kay's Crochet Edge Fleece Blade with 45mm Rotary Cutter Makes Perfect Holes for Crochet Edge Projects

I also bought a small quilting mat to put underneath. I'm anxious to get mine out and start using it!

Shelley

Post Thanks / Like
    I always just poked a hole with a darning needle. Didn't know there was a specific tool. LOL
    The biggest lie I tell myself, "I don't have to write that down, I'll remember it!"

Post Thanks / Like
    You can use an old fashioned ice pick or an awl. I use a stell crochet hook size 2 to poke holes and crochet the first line with it then I change to the hook size I need.

Post Thanks / Like
    I use my crochet hook and punch thru the towel. I personally would not use a hole punch, as the hole would be to big and I think it would show. just my opinion tho.

6. Likes Susan2014 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I use a small steel crochet hook . The ones used for crocheting doilies. It seperates the threads of the towel without cutting through them or causing fraying. Once a small open is made I use a slightly larger hook to open it enough to fit the hook through that you are crocheting with.

Post Thanks / Like
    In case you're interested, I posted this link on a blog post in Feb, they make a really sharp hook for this purpose, but you can just use a really sharp hook that you might have already. This hook is sharp enough that on the front of the pkg it says 'without pre-poking hole'. hope this might help someone who doesn' have a really sharp steel hook! This does make the perfect little nearly invisible hole in your material, for crocheting on edges, crocheting zippers into material, and more.

plus 3 crochet: cross-stitch bag pattern

hole punch-crochet-edgingsfabricsharphook-jpg
    Last edited by SusansSoulShines; 05-28-2015 at 09:44 AM.

9. Thanks Susan2014 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think I'd prefer to use a rotary to punch holes because they'd all be evenly spaced. I haven't used mine, yet, so I don't know how big the holes will be. I think I only paid $10 for my rotary. The quilting mat was more like $20, it's a small one.

Shelley

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi pw62978,
    I used to make towel toppers and I would fold the towel in half and put a small crochet hook through one side (by the fold) of the towel and then through the other side of the towel and try to space the stitches evenly. For the next rows I would switch to a bigger crochet hook.

Jean