Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2

Post Thanks / Like

Question about foundation chain....

I always thought that the foundation chain was just as it title says but a friend of mine told me she counts that as her first row. Can anyone shed a little light on this? Thank you! What makes me think of this is I just viewed a pattern and started to make it and as it indicates the first 6 rows are red....to me it only looks like 4 in this pattern. I crocheted 6 and it looks wider. Any help is appreciated. I included the pattern so you could see what I mean. Vertical Stripe Crochet Scarf (Unisex) – Eating Out Loud!

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm counting 6 rows of red on each side, in the photo. Focus on one stitch and count the stitches down diagonally by row, instead of looking straight on and trying to count the rows. You should see 6 rows if you try it.

Shelley

Post Thanks / Like
    I also count 6 rows. The foundation chain is not a row in my experience. Perhaps yours is wider because of the tension of your stitches?

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you both for your help. I have never had trouble counting rows before but for some reason on this scarf (picture) I can't see 6. And I think I actually had 8 on the one I am making and normally I am such a perfectionist, I would have ripped it out and started over but I guess two extra rows on either side won't hurt.

Post Thanks / Like
    A true crocheter's solution! If you can make the "mistake" part of the design who's to know? Good for you!

Post Thanks / Like
    i just looked at this pattern. The chain row is NOT counted as row one. It tells you to chain 240 stitches and Row 1 would be where it says to sc in second chain from hook.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Missy View Post
    I always thought that the foundation chain was just as it title says but a friend of mine told me she counts that as her first row. Can anyone shed a little light on this? Thank you! What makes me think of this is I just viewed a pattern and started to make it and as it indicates the first 6 rows are red....to me it only looks like 4 in this pattern. I crocheted 6 and it looks wider. Any help is appreciated. I included the pattern so you could see what I mean. Vertical Stripe Crochet Scarf (Unisex) – Eating Out Loud!
    Not at all to sound sarcastic, just factual, but more people apparently need to read crochet standard guidelines to get these things correct, so we'll all be on the same page - and this is also how we learn to crochet properly! The 1st row or round is after the foundation chain, that's why they're called different things, lol... Foundation chain, then row or round 1, the 2, etc.

And then there's the 'Chainless Foundations" combine the foundation chain and row 1 together when being made, so ppl get confused as which row to call row 1 when doing a pattern that starts with that method. Some also call it Single Crochet Foundation, or HDCF, DCF, TRCF, etc., but I like to call it chainless to be sure people know what I mean. Which I'm not really crazy about myself, for some specific patterns especially.

Like some ppl still say they count the loop on the hook as #1 when counting a chain. You never count that loop, you start with the one below the hook, the first one that's off of the hook - it's all in the standard crochet guidelines. I can't believe how many ppl in groups argue about that point! All they have to do is go check w/the 'experts', the CGOA or the CYC (Crochet Guild of America or Craft Yarn Council). They collect, set and help ppl follow standards guidelines, you can tell your friend to read their sites Missy, that will help her. I learned alone thru watching youtube videos, then went on to reading patterns, have written a few, am trying to read charts and want to take the Craftsy class for that, and the Curvy Crochet too, to help me make garments well, and to fit me well and put my yarn to the best use! You don't often really learn all of the correct technical aspects when you 'teach yourself' so to speak, so I spend time now learning all of that which I missed. I'd have loved to have had an expert long time crocheter teach me when I learned, but even some of them only know what they were taught and then they learn as they go! Takes all ways.

This striped scarf makes the rows a little hard to count since the stitches look stacked and you have to count them almost diagonal to see every row. Oh, Shelley said that, ok, I agree, lol! Pretty scarf!
    Last edited by SusansSoulShines; 05-09-2015 at 01:11 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    The most common way to make a row of crochet is to start with what we call a starting chain. This is a row of slip stitches in the size needed to accommodate the length or width of our project. This method can be tedious, tiresome and the risk on a miscount is high. When I use this method I always chain more than I need, then when my first row is done I cut off the excess and secure the first stitch. There is also a method currently called chainless crochet. This method was used extensively in years past mostly by those who crochet doilies. This method creates the chain and the first crochet row at the same time and it does make a difference in your pattern if you choose the alternative method. The Foundation chain can be worked with single, half double, double or treble crochet. Where as I cannot explain it well in words there are many videos on You Tube to demonstrate how easy this stitch actually is. you can easily google "Crochet Foundation Chain" and come up with many examples Here is a link to the crochet foundation chain.
    Last edited by DorisAnn; 05-10-2015 at 12:47 PM.
    Sharing is Caring. For Free Crochet Patterns Visit me at:
    http://idealdelusions.blogspot.com/

Post Thanks / Like
    To me, a foundation row is just the basis for starting any pattern. Most patterns will say chain x amount of stitches and then start specifically with Row 1 and give those instructions.

Some patterns use the foundation single crochet or even double crochet as the first row but I can't get the hang of it no matter how many times I try. Give me a regular chain count and start with Row 1 and I am happy.

Roe

10. Likes sapphire43, Lissacc liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Roe, I agree with you! I've been crocheting for so many years, I have trouble getting "the hang" of some of the new techniques. The old way works for me.
    Beverly

"A desire to craft is one of the deepest yearnings of the human soul!"