Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Page 2 of 2 First 12
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Susan,

I just tried to move your blog posts to a special forum under the businesses and vendors. I just realized you have not been set up for a forum section. Please take a look at the following:

http://crochettalk.com/vendors-and-m...te-listed.html

Post Thanks / Like
    Susan, I love the Roses. Now how do I find this double knot method to join color? I must have missed It. And what is the Russian join? I think it must be difficult these days to have a blog because there are so many more than there used to be. I wonder if a number of people could share a blog so it will remain viable. But you never know people may not like that either. But finding a number of different things on a blog can attract a bigger number of people. I think allowing people to ask for help increases your viability as well. I don't blog, I would not know what to say! Any way I wish you continued success!
    LadyellaONE DAY AT A TIME

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ladyella View Post
    Susan, I love the Roses. Now how do I find this double knot method to join color? I must have missed It. And what is the Russian join? I think it must be difficult these days to have a blog because there are so many more than there used to be. I wonder if a number of people could share a blog so it will remain viable. But you never know people may not like that either. But finding a number of different things on a blog can attract a bigger number of people. I think allowing people to ask for help increases your viability as well. I don't blog, I would not know what to say! Any way I wish you continued success!
    Hi Ladyella! Here are a just a few links on the joining methods you asked about. I'm posting in video form so you & anyone else can see them being done. Some are different people doing the same method, since some people can relate to others easier. I was going to add this question and my reply to the comment section of my blog site but instead I'm going to put them all in Friday's blog post to re-show them for everyone's benefit. Our 'contact' pages that lists all of our site links, and in the blog post comment sections, are where blog owners ask people to contact them with questions and/or comments, so that everyone can see the remarks and learn from them all at one place. That keeps us from having to repeat the same answers in multiple areas. It's not easy, or quick work, if you want a helpful and info filled site, and I did really long completely full blog posts, whereas most blog sites don't people don't post nearly that much in several post combines, so I need to post less, find a nice new format that doesn't charge and arm and a leg without using free software that has certain important drawback.,

I'm going to lower the number of monthly posts to 2 instead of 4 thru my website contract end date that is sometime this July. Then I'm taking my break from the blog site for at least a year if I do reopen one at all. I plan to advance my crochet level in all areas by taking the Craftsy classes I need to make clothing and learning more design techniques, then doing the actual work on projects, and that is going to be quite time consuming. I look forward to it. The blog site is also time consuming, too, so something has to give, and if I don't improve my skills then I won't even need a blog site!

You're right, there is indeed a huge amount of crochet and related blog sites out now, and you need good software, knowledge, organizational skills and time to put them into good use, a good camera for quality (mostly outdoors from what I see and like) pics with true lighting, a torso mannequin to post good scarf, shawl, etc patterns, I have my mannequin head for hats and headbands, but there is a lot I want to learn, do and hopefully share, and I need time for it. Not to sound rude, just factual, I also must be at least be comparable to the nicer looking sites that use all the latest techniques to make good sites, because even if the content isn't as thorough or varied, the overall looks matter a lot.

You can simply search the join methods if you want to find them in step by step pics for written form!

double knot join method:

another double knot video:

Russian join:

special joining method:

This is a search result page of these and other joins, incl colors, that you'll like as well.
    https://search.yahoo.com/yhs/search?...&hsimp=yhs-001

You're right, crochet bloggers/designers cannot join together with blog sites, each needs their own. Many are trying to have some level of for-profit business from their sites and hope to make some kind of income from their efforts, whether it be selling in any of these ways: from an Etsy/Ravelry/Craftsy/their own site, patterns they write for pieces they design, e-books containing their knowledge, their own line of yarn, custom ordered crocheted pieces, items such as totes or carry bags or sewing kits, etc. that can be used in conjunction with yarn crafts that they either purchased to resell or them or someone they know made them, or sponsors/affiliate programs, or other things I don't even know of yet! Many of them use a good bit of yarn to demonstrate projects, plus they need good cameras, some need good HD video equipment, lights, microphones, and so on.

It is hard to have a great site of any kind for absolutely free, even tho it still can be enjoyable, but difficult to do full time on a regular basis without selling anything at all, not only because of the time and knowledge it can take, but due to the fact that they're doing the work to stay home with children instead of working outside of the home, to supplement any fixed/spousal/other income they may have, and if nothing else they hope to cover any fees they pay to operate their sites in order to keep from paying out of their pocket while creating a site for pleasure if they can afford not to get income for it. I've noticed this year, almost every major crochet designer/instructor/blog/web site, and even some just getting started, have multiple ways of getting income, including a 'donate a skein' or 'donate any cash you can' type of buttons as options on their blog sites. Many offer both free and paid patterns.

Things cost so much that no one can hardly do even this for free without trying to make a little something. It might look selfish or be misunderstood, but it shouldn't be, because many people offer free information that you can't get elsewhere without paying at least a nominal amount for, and it looks like a day might come when more is paid than free offered, altho I could be wrong about that and I hope so. Even with vintage and archived patterns, they have to be made digital and some need to be digitally enhanced to be readable. Everything is time consuming as well. I tell all of this since I never realized myself until I got into my blog site and began reading, looking around online, and I think maybe many people don't know or think about some of this and we all need to know to understand things we see happening.

Have a nice day and I hope this helps you with joining!
    Last edited by SusansSoulShines; 05-13-2015 at 12:41 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Susan, I had the opportunity to use the double knot method of joining thread last night while working on my latest doily. I had to watch the video again, but I will eventually memorize it. It is a great way to change colors or just join the same color. Thanks for all the hard work you put into your blog. I look forward to each Friday for your flowers and tips.
    Beverly

"A desire to craft is one of the deepest yearnings of the human soul!"

Post Thanks / Like
    Susan, thank you for going to so much trouble. I saves me a lot of time but it must have been very time consuming for you to put these videos all on together. It takes me time to learn things I have to do them a few times so I will be trying this. It sure would make things easier, instead of finishing up loose ends at the end. It also look quite neat as you have trouble even finding the knot. How is your health these days? You can pm me if you prefer.
    LadyellaONE DAY AT A TIME

Post Thanks / Like
    Susan, thanks for providing wonderful crochet tutorials and all those lovely Friday flowers! Keep up the good work.
    ---HarriEtta