Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  1

Post Thanks / Like

Joining Mile-A-Minute strips

Hi. I've finished all the strips for a Mile-A-Minute afghan and discovered that I don't like the looks of the joining method in the pattern. The strips have a single crochet, chain 2, single crochet loop edging and the directions call for laying them face to face and doing 2 sc in each loop. This creates a distinct ridge on the back side and a bulky strip on the right side that I really don't care for. Does anybody have a better method? At this point I'm about ready to pull out the looped edging (on 13 strips!!!) leaving the first row of the edging (all double crochet) and just join as usual with a weave stitch that doesn't leave a ridge. Help!
    Sandy

2. Likes Susan2014 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sandy, you could use a whip stitch in the same color of yarn, using a tapestry needle. That way, you wouldn't end up with the ridge that SC makes.

There are lots of ways to join mile a minute strips. Just Google "joining crochet squares" and you'll see a lot of different varieties for joining your strips. Or you can Google "crochet invisible join."

Good luck! And please post some photos of your finished afghan!!

Shelley

4. Thanks SandyHG thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks, Pixieglitter. I decided to join by using the whip stitch and go into each chain stitch and single crochet on the edges. This gives less of a ridge than working around the chains. I'll post a picture after it's finished. I stopped on this afthan to finish up kitchen window curtains that had given me gray hair and ulcers last winter. The pattern was a bit complicated, converted from a shawl pattern, and I got to a point I needed a break. The curtains are finished and ready to block. I'll put a picture on here of them when I've gotten them hung.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Sandy, I'm happy to hear the whip stitch is working for you. I've never used it myself for joining squares. I've only made 2 blankets where I had many squares to join, and I connected them with a SC stitch. I've made tons of other afghans, though. For the squares, I liked having the ridge, it made the squares almost look like different colored windows.

I'll make a mile-a-minute afghan one of these days. What colors did you use? We'd love to see photos of it! Right now, I'm making baby blankets for my sister, she's pregnant.

Shelley

Post Thanks / Like
    This afghan has variegated yarn in the center of each strip, shades of blues and greens mostly, with navy blue outside trim. I started it to use up some leftovers from making a bunch of scarves and an afghan for my husband (the navy blue), thinking it would be just a lap size afghan. I liked the look so much I went ahead and made it bigger, buying more yarn as I went along.

I can't count how many things I've made over the years, tons of doilies and scarves and afghans and mountains of hot pads and pot holders. I make those up by the bagful and take them to the local food bank. It keeps my hands busy when I don't have a big project going and keeps me out of trouble! The curtain for the window (actually a valance) was a bright idea that ended up being more work than I bargained for. The body of the three pieces was easy, the trim was like working a doily pattern, requiring lots of concentration. That project is finished and being blocked with a light starch on a stretching board. It should be on the window in a couple of days.

Sandy

Post Thanks / Like
    Sandy please post a photo of your crochet curtain valance on the Pictures thread! We'd all love to see it, especially since you put so much work into it!!!

Shelley

Post Thanks / Like
    Try laying them face to face; secure ends and sides with short pieces of scrap yarn just to make it easier to keep them lined up then stitch them to together; only using the back loops and I thin you will be happy with the results. I use this all the time for the same reason you stated you did not like the other results.

I make a lot of afghans with squares and strips and I have not found a crochet together method that I have been happy with so I always sew mine together.

Hope this helps.

Mary Louise

Post Thanks / Like
    I ended up working slip stitches through the back loops of the strips. It's leaving some ridge but not too bad. I'll post pictures when it's finished. Thanks for the tips.
    Sandy

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi....I know exactly what you mean and I use a whip stitch when joining my Mile-A-Minute afghans together.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'll look through my books right away and get back to you.