Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  11
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Post Thanks / Like

Infant Star Afghan practicality? Suggestions for second blanket.

Has anyone made an infant star afghan? I really want to make one but I wonder how practical it would really be
    wrapping the baby in? Any feedback on that? I have three blankets to make. One for a neighbor, it is her second. Her first was a girl and she had me make it using San Jose Sharks colors. Turquoise, black and white. This time it is a boy. I have two skeins of teal and two of white that I bought for another project and couldn't return. Thinking a large granny square.

Then the receptionist at my dr office. She she is having a girl and likes purple. I bought two skeins in grape yarn, pretty bright and two white. Not sure of a pattern for this one. Then I had two cream one lavender and two lavender blue skeins left from another project. I'm thinking thinking of using these on a star afghan if people feel it is useful. I don't want to put money into a blanket that is not practical. If I get it done within two weeks any full left over skeins can be returned. I just made two blankets and bought two outfits for the nurse in the same office last month not knowing the receptionist was pregnant too. If I had known I would have mailed the nurses and asked her not to mention it. I have known the nurse for nine years and the receptionist for less than a year. The nurse is planning on coming back, the receptionist isn't. I feel however I have to do the same for both.

Feedback on the star?

Ideas for a blanket using a bright purple and white? What stitch to use.

2. Likes Susan2014 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I have also wondered about the practicality of round, star and other shaped blankets for babies! I've always made squares or rectangles. I also wonder about the usefulness of cocoons, they look cute but I would imagine it's difficult to get a baby in them.
    Karen

4. Likes Susan2014 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi debbie67 how U doing? I havent done a circular Blanket. If so id make one larger then one normally for baby. Can be used for lying or playing on floor as for wrapping incool weather id say Ok. BUT wondered if in cold weather not warm enough??

Color wh/purple sounds lovely. If you dont know sex of baby less purple But thats my opinion?? Can allways add a Blue shade to go with or a Pink maybe a Bow @ pink and Stream of Blue/purple arnd a few curcles??. haha Im laughing X Myself Daah I am. Susan2014

6. Likes missro007 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by karenlatlas View Post
    I also wonder about the usefulness of cocoons, they look cute but I would imagine it's difficult to get a baby in them.
    Karen
    I have laughed myself silly when I picture trying to get a baby into one of those cocoons. Like a pillow into a pillowcase? LOL! I wouldn't know how to get myself into one of them much less a flailing baby.

8. Likes karenlatlas, Lissacc liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Giraffe cocoon set that opens for ease in wrapping infant

In my opinion, the star and round blankets would be hard to use for babies. They are adorable, but again how practical are they and how well will the baby be wrapped. With all the work that goes into something like that, you really want it to be used. However, they could very easily be used as a blanket cover in a crib or basinet instead of wrapping the baby up in it. I made a penguin rug/blanket for my daughter, and thought she would use it as a blanket coverup in the basinet or crib, but I think she will use it as a photo prop. Seems like a lot of work to do for just a photo prop....As for the cocoons for babies, I think they are great. I made one that actually opened up so you could open the coccoon like a blanket and put the baby in then wrap, worked really good. Attachment 11924Infant Star Afghan practicality?  Suggestions for second blanket.-2013-2-22-giraff-cocoon-set-josie-2-jpgInfant Star Afghan practicality?  Suggestions for second blanket.-2013-crochet-items-82-jpgInfant Star Afghan practicality?  Suggestions for second blanket.-2013-crochet-items-83-jpg

10. Thanks Susan2014 thanked for this post
    Likes karenlatlas, missro007 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I make a lot of baby blankets and I've wondered the same thing. Round blankets are very beautiful, especially the star ripple pattern. Maybe it could be used as a car seat or stroller blanket?

Shelley

12. Likes karenlatlas liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by little drummer View Post
    In my opinion, the star and round blankets would be hard to use for babies. They are adorable, but again how practical are they and how well will the baby be wrapped. With all the work that goes into something like that, you really want it to be used. However, they could very easily be used as a blanket cover in a crib or basinet instead of wrapping the baby up in it. I made a penguin rug/blanket for my daughter, and thought she would use it as a blanket coverup in the basinet or crib, but I think she will use it as a photo prop. Seems like a lot of work to do for just a photo prop....As for the cocoons for babies, I think they are great. I made one that actually opened up so you could open the coccoon like a blanket and put the baby in then wrap, worked really good.

That is just too cute. And much easier to get the baby into it.

14. Thanks little drummer thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I am very fond of the “star” afghans. I make 12 point star afghans in all sizes. The smallest I make for baby gifts are about 40 to 45 inches point tip to point tip. (Diameter) I call these “Mommy & Me” blankets. Large enough cover mom and babe for those late night feedings and to remain useful when the baby isn’t so little anymore. I donate some for charity Auctions, they always bring a good price and I get many requests for them. They are easy, work up fast and still I cannot keep up with the demand. There are examples and free patterns on my blog. If you have not tried one you may be surprised at how popular they have become.
    Sharing is Caring. For Free Crochet Patterns Visit me at:
    http://idealdelusions.blogspot.com/

16. Likes karenlatlas liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Doris Ann, your afghans are absolutely beautiful! I just started yet another baby blanket this evening and it's already too far along for me to frog it all. As soon as I'm finished, I'm going to make one using your 12 point star pattern. Thank you so much for taking the time to write it all out.

Shelley

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Shelley, I think you will find the round ripple (star) afghan a fun project. There is an email app on the blog if you have questions. The top ten pattern request (of the week) are across the top of the page but the complete list is down the left hand side on the bottom. I hope you find something you like. I love to share.
    Sharing is Caring. For Free Crochet Patterns Visit me at:
    http://idealdelusions.blogspot.com/

19. Likes Susan2014 liked this post