Thanks Thanks:  22
Likes Likes:  14
Page 11 of 11 First ... 91011

Post Thanks / Like
    LadyElla, when I use two threads together they are the same size (I use a lot of size 10), just like using two strands of yarn. And no, I haven't found that pulling out stitches too many times to ruin the thread. I've done my share of that in all my years of crocheting. I use Aunt Lydia's and J & P Coats thread and recently, at Hobby Lobby, I found their brand called Artiste. It is 100% cotton, but feels so silky and makes a pretty doily with a sheen to it. There are also some nice colors to play with.
    I admire your persistance and determination to learn to crochet with thread.
    Beverly

"A desire to craft is one of the deepest yearnings of the human soul!"

2. Thanks Ladyella thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I found that when I block something I mark a square or circle, whichever I need. I sometimes take a plate or saucer close to the size I want. When I start to pin I don't go around, I go like a clock face 12 then 6 then 3 then 9 then slowly fill in between that way it doesn't end up with a bunch at the end.

4. Thanks Ladyella thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Ms.Dale, When I block, I do the same thing. I find that by doing that there isn't as much adjusting and most of the time it comes out symmetrical. It also helps to look at the original picture to see how to shape the various components. Spraying with water helps with the stretching if it hasn't been washed. Then I spray lightly with starch. The picture I am attaching, required some extreme stretching.
    Thread Tips please-img_20150405_083012572-jpg
    Beverly

6. Thanks Ladyella thanked for this post
    The town of West Chester, in Cincinnati, Ohio
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sapphire43 View Post
    Jo, if you have a Ravelry account, there are lots of vintage doilies there for free.
    Beverly,
    Yes, I have a Ravelry account also. I have downloaded many great patterns from the site.
    Thanks! ~~ Jo
    A Travelling Baehr Gathers No Moss!!

Post Thanks / Like
    sapphire43, when you use two threads do you change the size of your hook?
    LadyellaONE DAY AT A TIME

Post Thanks / Like
    Usually not, as this will change the size of your project. But sometimes you have to if the yarn is too thick for your hook.

10. Thanks Ladyella thanked for this post
    The town of West Chester, in Cincinnati, Ohio
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ladyella View Post
    dancingbaehr, just to let you know I did find a magic loop/circle and I love it!
    I'm glad you started using the magic loop! I use it all the time now.
    ~~ Hugs, Jo
    A Travelling Baehr Gathers No Moss!!

12. Thanks Ladyella thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    LadyElla, when I use two threads together, I do use a larger size hook, usually 1 to 2 sizes larger. And yes the item being made will be larger than the one made with only one thread. The size isn't usually important on the items I make like coasters. I have used 2 strands of yarn to make a baby blanket and it turns out larger which isn't a problem. Just experiment with different methods, hooks and threads/yarn. You are doing good and as you can see, lots of practice makes a difference.
    Beverly