Thanks Thanks:  22
Likes Likes:  14
Page 3 of 11 First 12345 ... Last

Post Thanks / Like
    Good lighting is essential when working with thread! I make edgings for pillow cases, sheets, face cloths and towels, bookmarks and Christmas decorations. Last year for Mother's Day I made a bouquet of flowers (snow drops, forsythia, daisies, forget-me-nots, gerberas etc. Lace curtain valences or cafe curtains are nice too! Good luck,
    Karen

2. Thanks Ladyella thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I used 3 threads held together to make a pullover shell. I did my mom's initials in a runner for her coffee table. You can use graph paper and play with designs for your letters and filet designs.

4. Thanks Ladyella thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Peruse some of the crochet magazines and books in your craft store. You will be amazed at what you can do with thread and yarn. Crochet thread is not just for doilies. Lionbrand.com has lots of free patterns you can download and print. I refer to my doily patterns for edgings when I crochet shawls.
    ---HarriEtta

Post Thanks / Like
    Your welcome ��

Post Thanks / Like
    Everyone has given you such good advice Ladyella. The smaller steel hooks are typically better for working with thread, though an aluminum B or even a C hook will work alright with the larger #3, #5, or even #10 thread. Baby ensembles are often done in thread and come out beautiful. Also, many, many granny square patterns use thread instead of yarn. With granny squares that call for thread, the size is usually appropriate when done in thread but will be too large in any yarn except for the sport weight, although large granny squares can look beautiful too and work up much faster. Vintage patterns such as doilies, table runners, table cloths, and collars are almost always done in thread. My mom makes cross book marks out of #30 thread and she is 86 years old. She gives them out to every visitor or new member in our church. I have done a lot of thread work myself, but usually prefer working with yarn. I find that it takes time for me to make the transition from working with yarn to working with thread, especially since I get frustrated easily because the same amount of time spent working a thread project produces a much smaller result than the same amount of time worked on a yarn project. Here are some photos of some of the thread pieces my mom and I have done recently. I hope they inspire you.
    Thread Tips please-img_20150311_151220668-jpgThread Tips please-img_20150311_150942527-jpgThread Tips please-img_20150311_151052451-jpgThread Tips please-img_20150311_151341803-jpgThread Tips please-img_20150311_151447426-jpgThread Tips please-img_20150311_151613263-jpgThread Tips please-img_20150311_151707151-jpg
    "We cannot do any great things. We can do only small things with great love."
    Mother Theresa

8. Likes karenlatlas, Ladyella liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Overwhelmed with the spirt of generosity

Thank you all for you kind words. I have not been on the site as I've been working with.................yep your right! Doilies.
    Ms. Dale I have heard of using more than one regular thread and as they drop off a new color was added. It was absolutely gorgeous. I came across one made with 3 colors of regular thread .
    karenlatlas you are right about the lighting, I changed the lights yesterday. I have trouble seeing small things anyway.
    I want to thank Winnie 2013, crochetdiva, susansoulshines, for all their advice.
    Saffire43 suggested I tried coasters, no go.... however I think its the light and night vision (Lol). I plan to re do the coaster and post both so you all can see where the advice helped.
    Trueblue2007 I received a lot and it all different advice and every little bit helps. I love your crocheted dolls. So thank you all, Its starting to shape up. I can a least hold the thread and hook

Congratulations to dvina for winning the February contest.
    LadyellaONE DAY AT A TIME

10. Thanks trueblue2007 thanked for this post
    Likes karenlatlas liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Trial & Error with thread

Thread Tips please-cream-jpgThread Tips please-jpgThread Tips please-img_0658-jpgHi To all crafty people ♥ whom gave me different advice. Sizes of threads, hooks, the need for better lighting, tension and examples of their work. Well, here is some of my attempts. I definitely have trouble with certain colors and the light. I have trouble counting and make mistakes especially on the off white colors. I still have tension problems but they are getting better. The doily in the center was easier because the stitches did not need to be so tight. I ripped out a lot of work and my hook help that by getting caught in the thread. The doilies are made with size 5 thread, but can't remember which hook I used because I was forever trying different ones. Even managed to stab myself (LOL)!
    PS: you only see the best(?), the rest hit the recycle bin. Please, if you have time critique the work as much as you can so I can continue to improve. I haven't decided if I should make the middle doily flat or leave it with a ruffled look. Thanks!

12. Likes Susan2014 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Dear Ladyella, I think you did great for a first try. Doing anything takes practice and patience. Keep trying and you will get better, you will find what works for you. Try simple patterns without a lot of counting, that may help. I like the white one, it's pretty, and I like the ruffle.
    Do you use markers when you crochet? That helps me to keep things straight.
    Good luck and keep crocheting.

14. Likes Ladyella liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you Ms. Dale for you encouragement♥

Post Thanks / Like

Word of encouragement

Quote Originally Posted by Ladyella View Post
    Thank you Ms. Dale for you encouragement♥

I always remember this saying,
    I find I hard to give up, but encouraging word always help.

When the world says give up, Hope whispers one more time♥
    Last edited by Ladyella; 03-15-2015 at 05:20 AM.