Thanks Thanks:  22
Likes Likes:  14
Page 2 of 11 First 1234 ... Last
    The town of West Chester, in Cincinnati, Ohio
    Post Thanks / Like
    Using thread would make the item smaller.
    A Travelling Baehr Gathers No Moss!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by dancingbaehr View Post
    Hi Ladyella,

I make crochet name doilies with size #10 thread. I mat them and frame them and give them as gifts. They make great wedding gifts. Here is a photo of the one I made for us.
    Attachment 11866

~~ Hugs, Jo
    Jo, that is one of the prettiest things I've ever seen! I love working with thread and have a whole box of colors. For some reason that reminds me of counted cross stitch that I've done tons of, but just can't do it any more. Thank God for crochet!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ladyella View Post
    I've done most crocheting with different yarns and stitches. If anyone has some tips on using threads please let me know. I tend to choose difficult patterns. What articles can be made with thread? I put some of my attempts under OOPS! Anyway thanks for the help!!
    This will help you a lot: Ultimate Beginner

4. Likes Nova55 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SusansSoulShines View Post
    Jo, that is one of the prettiest things I've ever seen! I love working with thread and have a whole box of colors. For some reason that reminds me of counted cross stitch that I've done tons of, but just can't do it any more. Thank God for crochet!!!
    Thank you so much Susan!! You are too sweet. The book I use is called "Your Name and More in Filet Crochet" I'm not sure who it's by, but there is a picture on the front cover of a name doily with the name KIRKSEY on it. They are very easy to make and everyone I give one to loves it.
    ~~ Hugs, Jo

Post Thanks / Like

Tips for using thread

Thank you Beverly, Roe, Jo and Susan thank you for your tips. Jo, the picture of your crocheted doily is beautiful and to frame it never crossed my mind. Although, I have done that with cross stitch patterns I did in the past. Susan, I checked out the link you gave me and it looks great. I have got some pattern now to start and some thread so I will see how I do.
    LadyellaONE DAY AT A TIME

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by dancingbaehr View Post
    Thank you so much Susan!! You are too sweet. The book I use is called "Your Name and More in Filet Crochet" I'm not sure who it's by, but there is a picture on the front cover of a name doily with the name KIRKSEY on it. They are very easy to make and everyone I give one to loves it.
    ~~ Hugs, Jo

I'm going to see if by chance the library has that one, you never know, at least I could get one for N for our last name, maybe a few more and learn the basics of it. Might be something online too, never know till you do a search! I live for searching, lol! My favorite aunt, who has passed on, gave me a framed white one on a dark background of dark blue material, and I treasure it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you Beverly, Roe, Jo and Susan thank you for your tips. Jo, the picture of your crocheted doily is beautiful and to frame it never crossed my mind. Although, I have done that with cross stitch patterns I did in the past. Susan, I checked out the link you gave me and it looks great. I have got some pattern now to start and some thread so I will see how I do.
    Great! Have fun, and show us something when you're done with one!

Post Thanks / Like
    Ladyella,
    Thank you. Glad you like the idea of framing it. They make great gifts.
    ~~ Hugs, Jo

Post Thanks / Like
    You can also use two or three threads at the same time to make your item stronger or use multiple colors rather then using variegated thread. Using thread you can also make ornaments and take a doily and starch it around a balloon to make beautiful bowls. Baby booties turn out very delicate looking when using thread too. I enjoy making things with it and I can actually crochet faster with it. You'll love it once you get used to working with it. Enjoy!

11. Likes Winnie2013 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you tazzdh for reminding me you can use more than one thread (just as with yarn). I am not fast , a little frustrated maybe but I'm persistent. I have tried a few patterns with different threads, hooks, but not getting a consistent tension (I think that's the problem). I bought size 5 thread as well. When I'm doing the Dc, and they look OK, and then after a few stitches later they look more like a chain. Maybe if I do the whole pattern I'll be able to tell. When I finish one I'll post my trials, and hopefully one that turns out looking good. I found one more problem - eyesight! I have trouble with some colors when trying to count stitches. Anyway thanks again, I will keep on trying!
    LadyellaONE DAY AT A TIME

13. Likes Winnie2013 liked this post