Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Post Thanks / Like

problem with yarn

hello just getting my daughters shawl done and will be glad can not do yarn with out it itich face hand hair all over does any one else have that problem this was 45 percent cotton too guess I will stick to the thread crochet am hoping to find some small items to do this spring besides dollies does any one have any ideas where to look seems like there is not a lot of patterns for thread thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    I like to do coasters for a quick project when I'm not doing doilies or blankets. If you check on Links and Resources on this forum, there is a link for 20 different coasters to choose from. Potholders are made from cotton yarn and possibly that wouldn't cause you to itch. Potholders can be made from almost any 6 inch granny square. I am fortunate to not be allergic to anything. Good luck choosing your next project. That's what I am doing today.
    Beverly

"A desire to craft is one of the deepest yearnings of the human soul!"

Post Thanks / Like
    I am wondering if you are allergic to wool? My whole family is allergic to wool so I always make sure there is no wool in the yarns I buy. No matter what project I am getting yarn for, I always do the "cheek test"....I gently rub each skein across my cheek a few times to make sure the yarn does not contain anything itchy or irritating. I will also use the inside of my forearm for this same "test" when it is not so cold out and I'm not so bundled up that I can't get to my arm (lol). Even the littlest bit of "unknown fibers" can be a problem for those with sensitive skin.
    As far as patterns for thread, have you tried searching "filet crochet" patterns? Premier Yarn kitchen cotton is not 100% cotton but I really like it for making kitchen and bath items. Good luck with your searches. I have a hard time ordering yarn on line because I can't feel what I am getting and I "test" each and every skein before I buy. Hugs, Shelly
    The story of The Passion of Christ in one flower....

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by seashells_Shelly View Post
    I am wondering if you are allergic to wool? My whole family is allergic to wool so I always make sure there is no wool in the yarns I buy. No matter what project I am getting yarn for, I always do the "cheek test"....I gently rub each skein across my cheek a few times to make sure the yarn does not contain anything itchy or irritating. I will also use the inside of my forearm for this same "test" when it is not so cold out and I'm not so bundled up that I can't get to my arm (lol). Even the littlest bit of "unknown fibers" can be a problem for those with sensitive skin.
    As far as patterns for thread, have you tried searching "filet crochet" patterns? Premier Yarn kitchen cotton is not 100% cotton but I really like it for making kitchen and bath items. Good luck with your searches. I have a hard time ordering yarn on line because I can't feel what I am getting and I "test" each and every skein before I buy. Hugs, Shelly
    Shelly, where do you purchase Premier Kitchen yarn? I mostly use 100% cotton by Lily Sugar'n Cream yarn for dishcloths and hand towels. And I don't like how it shrinks up so bad in the washer. I'd love to be able to use something that doesn't shrink up so bad.

Shelley

Post Thanks / Like
    I get it at AC Moore. They started carrying it about 6 months ago. The colors don't bleed or fade like a 100% cotton has a tendancy to do. The variety of colors is great and the price is wonderful. I haven't seen this yarn except for AC Moore but I haven't looked online. Good luck and enjoy working with this great yarn that is mostly cotton. Hugs, Shelly
    The story of The Passion of Christ in one flower....