Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Post Thanks / Like

Help "uncurling" my ends!

I have restarted crocheting after several years break. As a starter project, I stitched - single and double crochet - a scarf. The ends are curling upward. I thought it was because I was crocheting too tightly and changed to a larger needle = but had the same results...What am I doing wrong? How do I correct?
    xxxo

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by KentuckyCrafter View Post
    I have restarted crocheting after several years break. As a starter project, I stitched - single and double crochet - a scarf. The ends are curling upward. I thought it was because I was crocheting too tightly and changed to a larger needle = but had the same results...What am I doing wrong? How do I correct?
    xxxo
    Hi KCrafter! If your piece is curling when you've only got a few rows done, yarn will naturally curl, but once you get more rows done, it will naturally uncurl.

If it curls after you're finished with the piece, you need to block it, which involves spraying or wetting the piece completely depending on the yarn you use, and pinning it down to set and hold the stitches in place. There is info online about various yarn types and how to block it.

Red Heart Super Saver is the only yarn that I know of that self-sets stitches into place by machine washing and machine drying the piece when done.

I hope this helps!
    Last edited by SusansSoulShines; 02-10-2015 at 10:36 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks so much for your advice!! I had thought the length would resolve the problem but it didn't. I will try washing and pinning!! Love the quick responses to the question! xxxo

Post Thanks / Like

uncurling ends

This might also help with the curling ends. Hang the scarf over a hanger or other item and clip clothespins onto the corners after giving them a light spritz of water and let the clothespins on until the yarn is completely dry. There is another trick or two that I've used and had good outcomes. One is to take some yarn, thread it onto a darning or yarn needle, put some stitches on the very ends that are curling and weave the yarn through the scarf for about 2 inches. This will straighten the curls. One other thing I've done is put a decorative button, bead or crocheted flower or curling corners. If your scarf would look good with some pretty additions, you can try this, too. Sorry about rambling on. Good luck to you. Have fun with your crochet projects....add little things here and there if the project would look good if you do that. I made a "road trip scarf" using the pattern from Zooty Owl Crafty Blog Road trip scarf. I wore it to church and one of my friends fell in love with the scarf but didn't like the flowers; however, she liked the beads I had put in the center of the flowers. This past Sunday, I gave her the scarf without the flowers but I did keep the beads she liked so much. She just loved it and I can always make myself another one with that same yarn if I want to. I had already made myself another one using different yarn. I wonder if I will be giving this one away to another friend on Sunday at church
    Hugs, Shelly
    The story of The Passion of Christ in one flower....

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by seashells_Shelly View Post
    This might also help with the curling ends. Hang the scarf over a hanger or other item and clip clothespins onto the corners after giving them a light spritz of water and let the clothespins on until the yarn is completely dry. There is another trick or two that I've used and had good outcomes. One is to take some yarn, thread it onto a darning or yarn needle, put some stitches on the very ends that are curling and weave the yarn through the scarf for about 2 inches. This will straighten the curls. One other thing I've done is put a decorative button, bead or crocheted flower or curling corners. If your scarf would look good with some pretty additions, you can try this, too. Sorry about rambling on. Good luck to you. Have fun with your crochet projects....add little things here and there if the project would look good if you do that. I made a "road trip scarf" using the pattern from Zooty Owl Crafty Blog Road trip scarf. I wore it to church and one of my friends fell in love with the scarf but didn't like the flowers; however, she liked the beads I had put in the center of the flowers. This past Sunday, I gave her the scarf without the flowers but I did keep the beads she liked so much. She just loved it and I can always make myself another one with that same yarn if I want to. I had already made myself another one using different yarn. I wonder if I will be giving this one away to another friend on Sunday at church
    Hugs, Shelly

I love the Road Trip Scarf, it's a pretty and a popular pattern.

Post Thanks / Like
    seashells_Shelly - thanks so much for your suggestion..sounds like a couple of easy ones! Tried to look at your pattern, Zooty Owl..but it wouldn't load.maybe another day! Thanks again! xxxo
    d

Post Thanks / Like
    Someone also suggested that changing how you take the yarn with your hook can help. I hold my hook like a steak knife and I usually go over the yarn to pull it through. When I went under the yarn instead, it really helped minimize the curl.

Post Thanks / Like
    That's interesting. I am sitting here with my imaginary hook and yarn, trying to determine how do I "grab the yarn" Thanks! I'll check that out!! xxxo

Post Thanks / Like
    I was surprised how easily the road trip scarf works up and how quickly. Up north here in PA, it is something that can be used year round which makes it especially great.
    Hugs, Shelly

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Nova55. I agree with your idea. I was crocheting today and realized that I go under with my yarn so haven't had a curling problem most of the time. I also find that on some patterns, the instructions tell you to chain up then turn your work or else turn your work, then chain up. I personally find I get a much nicer edge if I chain up then turn my work rather than the other way around. Someone told me years ago after watching me crochet, that "I was doing it all backwards". I never did change my way of crocheting so maybe I do crochet backwards, whatever that means.
    Hugs, Shelly