Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  18
Page 1 of 6 123 ... Last

Post Thanks / Like

Operation Warm Heads

Here's a pic of 1 class with their new hats. My friend Carol (in the back) volunteers to read to a couple of the kids. She was telling me that some of them had no hats and asked if I would make a few for the ones without hats. I thought that at that age you can't give hats to some and not the others. It would make them feel left out even if they do already have a hat. So in about 2 weeks, using leftover yarn, I made 40 hats, enough for both of the K classes and several left over. A couple of the boys asked if they could have a hat for their sisters and since there were so many Carol said yes. Looking at all those happy faces just makes me feel all warm and fuzzy.
    Attached Images Attached Images Operation Warm Heads-operation-warm-heads-2-jpg 

Post Thanks / Like
    Cute little kids wearing cute hats and huge, happy smiles--gotta love it! I particularly like the little guy in the foreground with the big glasses--looks my son did at that age.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JaynJoy View Post
    Cute little kids wearing cute hats and huge, happy smiles--gotta love it! I particularly like the little guy in the foreground with the big glasses--looks my son did at that age.
    I think he's wearing the glasses to keep the hat from falling into his eyes. When I packed up the aviator style hats I tucked the ear flaps inside, when the little guy in the green shirt with the red and white aviator hat first put it on he still had the ear flaps inside and he looked so cute showing off his new hat. Carol said they had so much fun that nothing else got done that day - except hats!

Post Thanks / Like
    This made me smile big, what a fantastic idea! You did a fabulous job making 40 hats in only 2 weeks! The little ones will remember what a fun time they had that day.

Shelley

5. Likes the hook and I liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks, Shelley. My friend Carol said she and the teacher had as much fun as the kids. The next day the teacher told Carol that one little girl would not take off her hat and even slept in in that night. She still had it on for school in the morning and kept it on all day. It made me wonder why and it brought me to tears.

7. Likes the hook and I liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    What a beautiful bunch of children! I just want to kiss and hug each one of them. I know they were so proud of their hats that you made for them. Reading the post about the little girl and her hat makes me want to cry. What a great job you did in making that many hats in so little time. All of the hats turned out so pretty. xoxoxo Lynda

9. Likes the hook and I liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Char this sweet story makes me want to run out and find a Kindergarten class to make hats for!!

Shelley

11. Likes Lynda Fey liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    How about the K class in your town? Or the one in your school district? I'm thinking about doing my own town next. Since there are only 7,000 people who live in Palmyra, NJ, there can't be all that many in kindergarten. The ones I made went with my friend who does her reading classes in the town next to ours.

Hats don't take all that long to make, you can use up some of that left over yarn and they give you a chance to try out new stitches. I didn't even follow a pattern. Once I made the crown with the appropriate number of increases I then played with decorative stitches. Sometimes I put a fold up brim or a flared brim on the hats, sometimes I did a backward single crochet with no brim on the bottom. There were a few newsboy's caps with peaks on the front. And there's always enough yarn to make a flower for the girl's hats. If there was enough yarn I did aviator style hats with ear flaps and that fold up thingy in the front with 2 buttons. I have tons of buttons. All in all, I had lots of fun with them.

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow good job!!! and what a great heart you have. We sometimes forget that a very large number of families are in need in our own cities. You need a big hug for that one and my hat is off to you. Now I have to go and find a tissue.

14. Likes the hook and I liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CHARCREATES View Post
    Here's a pic of 1 class with their new hats. My friend Carol (in the back) volunteers to read to a couple of the kids. She was telling me that some of them had no hats and asked if I would make a few for the ones without hats. I thought that at that age you can't give hats to some and not the others. It would make them feel left out even if they do already have a hat. So in about 2 weeks, using leftover yarn, I made 40 hats, enough for both of the K classes and several left over. A couple of the boys asked if they could have a hat for their sisters and since there were so many Carol said yes. Looking at all those happy faces just makes me feel all warm and fuzzy.
    Hi, CHARCREATES. What a wonderful thing to do! And in a short period of time. I love the smiles on the faces of the children, and they all look adorable in their hats. I'm in South Jersey. Where is Palmyra?

16. Likes the hook and I liked this post