Thanks Thanks:  6
Likes Likes:  5
Page 2 of 3 First 123 Last

Thread: Advice Needed

Post Thanks / Like

handbags

2. Thanks Ivy thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh my gosh I love you thank you sooooo much you have no idea how much this will help me!

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Ivy, I've made several purses with handles that I sometimes carry. I always use double strands of regular no. 4 worsted weight yarn with a size K hook. They come out sturdy and cute! If you use 2 different colors they have a kind of "tweed" look.

Shelley

5. Thanks Ivy thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Pixieglitter View Post
    Hi Ivy, I've made several purses with handles that I sometimes carry. I always use double strands of regular no. 4 worsted weight yarn with a size K hook. They come out sturdy and cute! If you use 2 different colors they have a kind of "tweed" look.

Shelley
    Hm never thought of doing that

Post Thanks / Like
    I was wondering if you've thought of adding a lining to your handbag? I made a purse that is larger than a clutch but not as large as a handbag. I used a thicker yarn that is not heavy or bulky but I added a lining of fabric before attaching the sides together. I was really pleased with how nicely it worked out and is an accessory that always get tons of compliments. For the strap, I bought some black material for making belts and have crocheted a cover for that to match the purse. With the lining, I don't have to worry about losing anything through the stitches. I don't have a pattern as I just made it as I went along. I just wanted to add the idea of using some scrap fabric for a lining. Hugs, Shelly
    The story of The Passion of Christ in one flower....

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by seashells_Shelly View Post
    I was wondering if you've thought of adding a lining to your handbag? I made a purse that is larger than a clutch but not as large as a handbag. I used a thicker yarn that is not heavy or bulky but I added a lining of fabric before attaching the sides together. I was really pleased with how nicely it worked out and is an accessory that always get tons of compliments. For the strap, I bought some black material for making belts and have crocheted a cover for that to match the purse. With the lining, I don't have to worry about losing anything through the stitches. I don't have a pattern as I just made it as I went along. I just wanted to add the idea of using some scrap fabric for a lining. Hugs, Shelly
    I haven't. I don't know how to go about putting one in but I also don't know exactly how to go about making a bag without a pattern
    love to see a pic of how yours turned out

Post Thanks / Like
    I always have problems posting pics but I will try to get a pic of my purse on here so you can see the inside as well as the outside. To add the lining, I just laid the purse out flat and cut a piece of scrap fabric slightly larger than the size of the purse. Then I just folded the fabric under so the lining would be smooth as I hand stitched the fabric to the yarn. You can't see any of the thread stitches. Then I used yarn to sew the sides of the purse together before adding the strap. I will try to get the pic on here in the next day or two. Hugs, Shelly
    The story of The Passion of Christ in one flower....

10. Thanks Ivy thanked for this post
    Likes Susan2014 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Have you ever checked out Ravelry? It is a wonderful site that you can join for free and there are lots and lots of patterns there and an easy way to search too. I've found lots of great patterns there too. Beware: there are so many wonderful patterns and not nearly enough time to make them all!! Good luck!
    Auntie Alice

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by AuntieAlice View Post
    Have you ever checked out Ravelry? It is a wonderful site that you can join for free and there are lots and lots of patterns there and an easy way to search too. I've found lots of great patterns there too. Beware: there are so many wonderful patterns and not nearly enough time to make them all!! Good luck!
    How does Ravelry work?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jean Marie View Post
    How does Ravelry work?
    It is much like this site and Knitting Paradise in that you register with a user name and password. It allows you to build a library of patterns and it lets you search all kinds of patterns as well. As I only crochet, I put that in my search so that I don't end up with lots of knitting patterns. Give it a try. I think you may like it!
    Auntie Alice