Thanks Thanks:  6
Likes Likes:  5
Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Thread: Advice Needed

Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb Advice Needed

okay so I really want to crochet a blanket but it will have to wait. The advice I need is for what I would be better off making with thick yarns. I want to make a couple bags but I don't know that thick yarn would work for that. The yarns are size 6 super bulky. I'm sure everyone here has more expertise than I so any advice is deeply appreciated Thanks and God bless.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    okay so I really want to crochet a blanket but it will have to wait. The advice I need is for what I would be better off making with thick yarns. I want to make a couple bags but I don't know that thick yarn would work for that. The yarns are size 6 super bulky. I'm sure everyone here has more expertise than I so any advice is deeply appreciated Thanks and God bless.
    Ivy, it depends on how warm you want to to make your blanket first of all, and 2nd, how fast do you need it done? You'll need a big hook for #6 bulky yarn , and I'm not sure what you mean when you say you need to make a 'couple of bags' but for #6 bulky you'll need about at least an M, N or P hook. These will be thick, very warm blankets that work up fast based on your yarn size!

3. Likes Ivy liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    The problem with making a blanket is I don't have enough of the same colors to make one the way I'd like or to even be large enough to be considered a blanket. And by bags I meant like purses or small carrier bags.
    Quote Originally Posted by SusansSoulShines View Post
    Ivy, it depends on how warm you want to to make your blanket first of all, and 2nd, how fast do you need it done? You'll need a big hook for #6 bulky yarn , and I'm not sure what you mean when you say you need to make a 'couple of bags' but for #6 bulky you'll need about at least an M, N or P hook. These will be thick, very warm blankets that work up fast based on your yarn size!

Post Thanks / Like

buly yarn reply

The problem with making a blanket is I don't have enough of the same colors to make one the way I'd like or to even be large enough to be considered a blanket. And by bags I meant like purses or small carrier bags.
    Sure a bulky yarn will work for the right handbag! People do it all the time! Sorry I didn't understand the post the 1str time!

Post Thanks / Like
    Sure a bulky yarn will work for the right handbag! People do it all the time! Sorry I didn't understand the post the 1str time!
    Its alright I read it over myself and can see why it would be confusing

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Ivy,
    Thick yarn would make nice warm hats - scarves too. Shawls or leg warmers or arm warmers or what about headbands/ear warmers? maybe some gloves - fingerless gloves?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jean Marie View Post
    Hi Ivy,
    Thick yarn would make nice warm hats - scarves too. Shawls or leg warmers or arm warmers or what about headbands/ear warmers? maybe some gloves - fingerless gloves?
    so then if i wanted to make a bag I would be better off using thin yarn?

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Ivy,
    You can probably use thick or thin yarn depending on what you want. I have a post on 'finger knitting'. There is also a video on u-tube for 'arm knitting' and 'finger chaining' You can also make a blanket w/finger knitting. You could probably make a bag w/finger or arm knitting.

Jean Marie

Post Thanks / Like
    Ivy, I'd say no to using thinner yarn for a bag. It needs worsted weight at least to hold up to the wear & tear. when you find the pattern you like, use at least the thickness of yarn they suggest and not less.

Post Thanks / Like
    Ivy, I'd say no to using thinner yarn for a bag. It needs worsted weight at least to hold up to the wear & tear. when you find the pattern you like, use at least the thickness of yarn they suggest and not less.
    Okay thanks! Now I just need to find a pattern I would like to do