Thanks Thanks:  29
Likes Likes:  17
Page 3 of 7 First 12345 ... Last

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by twinfaye View Post
    I think it has more to do with the yarn that the hook. That is my experience but I guess some feel it is the hook. I have found that some yarns like "I love this yarn" splits all the time. Just a different perception.
    I agree w/ this. I have both Susan Bates and Boyes hooks. I have no issues using either. I find some yarns just want to split no matter what hook you use.

2. Thanks cheri54 thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    they used to make a hook that was flat on the front instead of pointed like the ones we get today but even then you had to be careful. Some yarns are just worse than others is my way of thinking. If you do find some let me know. Judy

4. Likes cheri54 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Cheri. I work with the eyelash yarns and like them very much. I had the same issues as nearly everyone else until I bought some very inexpensive lighter weight yarn and use the eyelash and thin yarn together. I have no more problems working with the eyelash or what they call the "ladder" yarns either when using with a light weight acrylic in a color that is very close to the same color as the main color in the fancy yarns and it is practically invisible when the project is done. I've used the small skeins that A.C.Moore sells for $1.00 and have been very happy with the results. Maybe you'll find this helpful for your eyelash yarn projects. Oh, one other thing I do, when using the eyelash or ladder yarns with another yarn, I go up at least one size in the hook that is suggested and sometimes even 2 sizes larger because it keeps the stitches looser and easier to work with. Good luck. Hugs, Shelly
    The story of The Passion of Christ in one flower....

6. Thanks cheri54 thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Aww, I am so sorry to hear about your baby. It makes me sad but I know that this has happened to many. This happened to my brother who was so attacthed to his baby that he cried like a baby it was awfull. So I can only imagine what you must feel like. But you do seem to be coping and that is so good. You will always have his memories forever. Thinking of you in Texas Judy

Post Thanks / Like
    Simply Soft by Caron I find to really be a bugger to work with because it splits. I prefer Bates, but also use Boye and love that style when I work with crochet cotton thread. The smallest I work with is 20, but my sister has used even smaller. Sewing thread is an 80. I have 4 full sets of different hooks. I don't like the burnished aluminum hooks, I find the yarn slides better on a shiny hook, even if the finish is worn off like my H hook! hahah Katy

9. Likes cheri54 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

crochet hooks

I really like the clover soft touch..they are shorter than boyle or susan bates and I can go much faster and my yarn doesn't catch...

11. Thanks cheri54 thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I have crocheted for over 40 years and I do not recommend the Boye brand for any projects!! I experienced the same problems you are having and I know how frustrating this can be. NO! it is not you!! It is the Boye brand hook.
    I use and highly recommend the hook by "SUSAN BATES" These hooks are comparable in price to the Boye brand!! Try the Bates hook. I am sure you will be pleased.
    Happy crocheting!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Dear cheri54 - I use Boye hooks. I do have a Bates hook, and the difference I can see is: 1. The hook on the Boye is wider set and the Bates is narrower, making the point on the top a little sharper; 2. The Boye throat is tapered all around and the Bates hook and throat is chiseled flat which gives it a smaller area to hold the yarn; 3. The Boye hook has a much longer shaft (area before the flat thumb rest) and is about 1/2" longer in total. There are pros and cons to both, but I could see where a person could have more of a problem with yarn splitting with the Bates hooks. Perhaps the blame is more on the yarn and a little on the hook, since many people on CT have commented on such-and-such yarn or a batch of yarn has given them problems.

I have never had a problem with yarn splitting. My problem is that the yarn twists up on itself (like the old-time phone cords would do), so that from time to time I have to hold up the yarn and spin it in the other direction to release the tension. Obviously I'm doing something wrong, probably with how I hold the yarn (between my first & second finger). I would appreciate any suggestions on how to fix this, because sometimes it's a real pain - especially when working with a metallic crochet thread.

And Shelley - I am so sorry for the loss of your dog. These animals become as cherished as our children, and it is so difficult when they go. It's wonderful that you still have Molly, and I hope the joy of the season can help soften your grief.

14. Thanks cheri54 thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I so totally agree, that eyelash yarn is very difficult to work with. I don't think I will ever use it again.

16. Likes cheri54 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Nova55,
    If your yarn or thread twists you can put a darning needle or another needle on it (threading your yarn) and hold it so the needle hangs from the yarn. The weight of the needle will unwind your yarn.

18. Thanks karenlatlas thanked for this post
    Likes cheri54 liked this post