Thanks Thanks:  29
Likes Likes:  17
Page 1 of 7 123 ... Last

Post Thanks / Like

I need hooks that don't catch on the yarn...any ideas???

i get really tired of my crochet hooks not sliding smoothly through my stitches, or the tip catching on a stitch below the one i'm working on, or having the yarn slip off the hook as i pull through to complete a stitch... does anybody know of a brand with a deeper 'hook' that will keep the yarn from slipping off and separating the yarn strand with the tip? or is it me and not the hook...? lol i use Boye brand aluminum hooks for the most part...which i can easily afford.

Post Thanks / Like
    For me, I find Susan Bates hooks better for me, yarn seems to flow smoothly. I don't like Boye hooks, they tend to catch the yarn more and snag. I have heard of Clover hooks but have not used them (yet). Hopefully someone else can give you insight on those hooks.

Roe

3. Thanks cheri54 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    not sure if it was knitting or crocheting but the stainless steel hooks will slide easier than the wooden ones I've heard. I use the stainless steel hooks and once in a while it catches and doesn't pull through but usually it pulls through.

5. Thanks cheri54 thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Susan Bates hooks are my favorite. They are reasonably priced so maybe just get one and see how you like it. I have no problem with them even when stitching tightly for my amigurumis.

7. Thanks cheri54 thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I think it has more to do with the yarn that the hook. That is my experience but I guess some feel it is the hook. I have found that some yarns like "I love this yarn" splits all the time. Just a different perception.

9. Thanks cheri54 thanked for this post
    Likes Susan2014 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree that some yarns will split regardless of what hook is used. I have been crocheting for more than 50 years and have always preferred the Boye hooks over the Susan Bates. And sometimes regardless of the hook, the yarn will still give me fits. You might pick up one of the other brands to try and report back here on how you liked it. I'm always interested in a better product.

11. Thanks cheri54 thanked for this post
    Likes Susan2014, Teri liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I use Susan Bates and find they don't stick for me.

13. Thanks cheri54 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I prefer the Boye hooks as they seem to have a deeper hook than Susan Bates which makes crocheting easier for me with less of the problems you've stated. Perhaps it's just the way I hold the hook and crochet. I was fortunate to find bamboo hooks on a "get rid of these" display at A.C. Moore. They were only $5.00 each and having a coupon for a percentage off your total purchase, I bought 2 hooks. I love them and find them to be my favorites but I would never pay the retail price of $24.99. Are you a "tight stitch" crocheter? I tend to crochet loosely after I learn a stitch. When I first try new stitches, I find I crochet tighter and have more problems with catching and splitting, etc. After I am comfortable with a stitch, I have a pretty easy go of it unless I am working with an especially difficult yarn. Don't know if this is any help, just thought I'd pass along my thoughts. Hugs, Shelly
    The story of The Passion of Christ in one flower....

15. Thanks Susan2014, cheri54 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Merry Xmas and Happy New Year !! Shelly. Susan2014

17. Thanks seashells_Shelly thanked for this post
    Likes cheri54 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I agree Faye. I bought I love you Yarn as every one in 1 Group raved about it. Not me, maybe some things?? Happy Holidays

Susan2014

19. Likes cheri54 liked this post