Thanks Thanks:  29
Likes Likes:  17
Page 2 of 7 First 1234 ... Last
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Merry Christmas and a very Happy New Year to you and your family. How is everyone doing? My dog, Red, died on Dec. 18 while having surgery. Today is the first day I have cried. I was with him and then got to hold him for a long time. I really miss him We still have Molly and she is pretty good being the only dog. Take care, Susan. I think of you often and you are always in my prayers. Hugs, Shelly
    The story of The Passion of Christ in one flower....

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by seashells_Shelly View Post
    Hi Merry Christmas and a very Happy New Year to you and your family. How is everyone doing? My dog, Red, died on Dec. 18 while having surgery. Today is the first day I have cried. I was with him and then got to hold him for a long time. I really miss him We still have Molly and she is pretty good being the only dog. Take care, Susan. I think of you often and you are always in my prayers. Hugs, Shelly
    I am so sorry to hear of the loss of your dog. I have two dogs myself and they are my babies. I know I would be lost without them. My black lab stood by my side when I fell one day until my boyfriend came. Then he barked at him to let him know that something was wrong. He is my hero. Both of them have stayed very close to me everyday since then. I have had other dogs and it always hurt when something happened to them. I have always believed that we will see our pets again when we go home to be with the Lord.

Post Thanks / Like
    the only susan bates hooks i've found are some type of plastic that i seem to break...lol don't know if it's the quality of the hook or i just have too much strength in my fingers...hahaha

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by twinfaye View Post
    I think it has more to do with the yarn that the hook. That is my experience but I guess some feel it is the hook. I have found that some yarns like "I love this yarn" splits all the time. Just a different perception.
    i've wondered about that myself. it's like the chicken or the egg...i just got a new batch of yarn from an online site and so far used some of two different brands, both 3 ply light for baby clothes. both seem to split easily and one brand came out of the skein looking 'split' in sections already.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by seashells_Shelly View Post
    I prefer the Boye hooks as they seem to have a deeper hook than Susan Bates which makes crocheting easier for me with less of the problems you've stated. Perhaps it's just the way I hold the hook and crochet. I was fortunate to find bamboo hooks on a "get rid of these" display at A.C. Moore. They were only $5.00 each and having a coupon for a percentage off your total purchase, I bought 2 hooks. I love them and find them to be my favorites but I would never pay the retail price of $24.99. Are you a "tight stitch" crocheter? I tend to crochet loosely after I learn a stitch. When I first try new stitches, I find I crochet tighter and have more problems with catching and splitting, etc. After I am comfortable with a stitch, I have a pretty easy go of it unless I am working with an especially difficult yarn. Don't know if this is any help, just thought I'd pass along my thoughts. Hugs, Shelly
    i try to crochet fairly loose myself...but i have to pay attention as my stitches seem to get tighter as i go along...i've made many an 'hour glass' afghan in my time..lol but i don't crochet as tightly as i have seen others do. i'd love to try the bamboo hooks but haven't seen any deals like you came across. glad to know they are good hooks, incase i find some i can afford. my most difficult type of yarn is the 'eyelash'. i was given quite a few skeins last year from my sister who knitts, but i find it horrible to work with so they sit in a bag.

Post Thanks / Like
    Haven't seen plastic SB hooks. Mine are metal. I bet I would break plastic ones also-I am heavy handed!

7. Likes cheri54 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    MERRY CHRISTMASTO YOU AS WELL. Hope you and yours have a wonderful day and New Year...cheri54

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by imalefty View Post
    Haven't seen plastic SB hooks. Mine are metal. I bet I would break plastic ones also-I am heavy handed!
    ditto...i used the susan bates hooks once and broke them... i use aluminum hooks as i haven't seen steel in the larger sizes, not really sure they make steel hooks except for crochet thread...

Post Thanks / Like
    Maybe the larger hooks would be too heavy if they were steel??

11. Thanks cheri54 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    The crochet hooks I have are probably aluminum not stainless steel.

13. Thanks cheri54 thanked for this post