Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  8
Page 3 of 3 First 123

Post Thanks / Like
    Try opening an Etsy Shop on Etsy.com or post to CraftersLounge.com. Take a look at the prices on Etsy for similar items you crochet; stay competitive. This might work for you.
    ---HarriEtta

Surrounded by the mountains of Vermont, USA
    Post Thanks / Like
    My own experiences have been that people want cheap. The more Walmart the better. They have absolutely no comprehension of the quality of the work, nor of the durability of the fabric. Besides, it probably won't be "in style" 6 months from now. I have resigned myself to making shawls and lapghans for people in nursing homes. At least there the items I make are used and appreciated. I let people know in my community that I am always in need of yarn. Don't care if it's from the basement or the attic. And yes, there's been many a morning that I find a bag of yarn sitting on my doorstep.
    I've learned to take apart afghans I buy for as little as $2.50 at the local thrift store (I wash them first), wind and bag. Lots of yarn to make those nursing home items.
    I've even stopped making things for my now grown children. I had spent the better part of a year making a special afghan for my son only to discover it on his basement floor falling apart and feeling like cardboard. That hurt!
    My husband and I are very lucky to have our home, the economy being what it is. There truly is no money for anything but bare essentials. Clothing is not on that list. So I make him hats and mittens and slippers. A friend said I could borrow her sock loom so he can have warm socks for when he works outside.
    And of course where would we be without my dishcloths???
    So sorry you are having a hard time, but please, do not blame yourself. We live in a disposable world.

Post Thanks / Like
    After reading all these posts..I want to say that all, every one of the comments, make a lot of sense to me. I have been crocheting for way over 40 years or more and can count on both hands the number of items I have sold. Most of them have been to people I know. I know how much time, money,patience and love we put into our projects and you are right.No one wants to pay what they are worth.They want something that looks pretty, is valuable and what was created with so much patience and time...for almost nothing! gimme, Gimmee Gimmee, the cheaper, the better is their attitude.

Well my closet is full of afghans, bedspreads, quilts and yes, unfinished projects.Craft supplies AND yarn to the point that I can hardly get to my clothes. And it is a walk-in closet!! But, give up and not crochet,, or do anymore crafts?..NEVER!! I will go to my grave with my crochet hooks in my hands!! LOL!! I am still having problems with my phone. I have lost almost every one of my contacts and phone numbers and email addresses..no caller ID now and my desk top computer is Dead. It looks like my laptop is not too well...can't get email. The tablet seems to be doing better .

Well! I sure feel better! I feel like I even lost a few pounds! All of you out there...Never give up on yourselves!! Do what you love even if it doesn't sell. At least it will make YOU happy!

Love to you all, Patty/ aka redhead/ and redhead84 (84 is my age and almost 85!). And I can still laugh!!!
    Last edited by redhead; 12-02-2015 at 08:54 AM.

4. Likes Lissacc liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Do it til ya can't do it no more!

Well Patty, I couldn't agree with you more. And I just finished a huge project getting my yarn collection organized. I had so many plastic bags, big plastic containers, and cardboard boxes full of yarn, and yes, unfinished projects too. It took 65 shoe boxes which I found at Walmart for .94 each (I cleaned out 4 local Walmart stores LOL), a hand crank yarn winder I got on sale at Michaels for $17, and about 2 weeks of my time winding, sorting and organizing, but OMG do I feel good about the results. And I even managed to get rid of tons of towels and sheets I no longer need, making more room in my linen closet for BOXES lol. Now I can get back to creating the last of my Christmas gifts with peace of mind instead of insanity looking for that yarn I know I had someplace.

Starting to Think I Should've Waited-3-jpg
    Starting to Think I Should've Waited-5-jpg

Crochet away my friend, that's what I'm going to do! Happy Holidays, Victoria

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    I want tot try etsy but I just am not sure I would sell a thing on it
    Try that! It's very affordable so you won't have much invested in it, just be prepared to possibly spend time making more for others than for yourself, and they want perfection in finished pieces. There is some awesome competition on there as I said before!

Post Thanks / Like
    Good morning...I agree with the above post...don't stress over it. Just be persistent at whatever you do. If at first you don't succeed dust yourself off and try again "saying of the decade"

Post Thanks / Like
    That looks nice. I did nearly the same, but instead of all the boxes, I bought a shoe storage closet. It is a fabric, fully enclosed, zip front, put together, with plastic rods. You can buy different sizes, I got one that will hold 65 pair of shoes. I have it nearly full, and am having to pack them a little tight, but am loving it.