Thanks Thanks:  14
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread: Prayer Shawls:

Post Thanks / Like

Smile Prayer Shawls:

I have started crocheting prayer shawls. I would like to make each of my sisters one for Christmas. I am looking for all kinds of different patterns.

2. Thanks Linda D. Mitzner thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I haven't made any yet but my thought was for a simple pattern of repeating 3 rows of double crochet--than 3 rows of the x stitch (skip a double crochet than double crochet in next stitch and than go back and double crochet in the stitch you skipped) First row for God the Father--2nd row Jesus and 3rd row the Holy Spirit. 3 rows for the triune God make to the length you desire

4. Thanks Linda D. Mitzner thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    [url]https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=free+crocheted+prayer+shawl+patterns[/url]

This may help get you started. I am involved with a prayer shawl ministry and our only requirement is that it be 20-22" wide and 60" long, any pattern can be used.

There are many patterns available, some are rectangular, some can be triangular. Hope you find some you like.

Roe

6. Thanks Linda D. Mitzner thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I am making a granny triangle shawl for my daughter in-law for Christmas. You can find a video tutorial on youtube for help. It's really easy and simple. Check it out. Maybe you might choose to use it. Here is the link for you on youtube Oh cool, the video is showing up!
    I plan on making myself one of these shawls one of these days. xoxoxo Lynda

8. Thanks Linda D. Mitzner, Nova55 thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Our Methodist women have a prayer shawl ministry. Someone always knows somebody else that is in need of comfort. Cancer patients, those who have lost loved ones, people going through depression, so many sick and injured. We like to have one ready for immediate use. Several cancer patients tell us they get cold when they take chemo. We were told the same as Susie Ann, about the triune God when stitching. I have three book suggestions- Contemplative Crochet, a hands on guide for interlocking faith & craft by Cindy Crandall-Frazier published by skylight paths publishing; The Crochet Prayer Shawl Companion (37patterns to embrace, inspire, and celebrate life) by Janet Bristow & Victoria A. Cole-Galo (which also has a similar one for knitting) published by Taunton Press; and Crochet Prayer Shawls (15 wraps to share) a Leisure Arts Publication. Hope this is of some use to you all.

Post Thanks / Like
    Love the shawl, Lynda Fey. Thanks for the link!

Post Thanks / Like

Prayer Shawls

Thank you for all the information every one. The one about the Triune God is very interesting.

12. Thanks Linda D. Mitzner thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Your very welcome Linda xoxoxo

14. Thanks Linda D. Mitzner, Greeter Eva thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Linda. Have you looked at Lion Brand Yarn yarn and pattern site. Just key in word 'shawl' and 10 pages come up..knit and crochet.
    You can get ideas from this site. I especially like the pocket shawls , aka readers shawls. You can make them wider. Also on the Amazon.com site : Books, key in Prayer Shawl Ministry, 3 books come up. First one written you can view patterns . you can even copy and paste to print. Also "Yarnspirations" Bernat, Patons, Caron and Lily have shawls posted for you to review and print out....These manufacturers have all joined to make one site . Red Heart had shawls....You can even take a lap blanket pattern and just make it longer
    length wise if you find one or scarf pattern just make wider and get creative...Just few more ideas to look over.

16. Thanks Linda D. Mitzner, Greeter Eva thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the ideas, I'll check them out. I have made a few shawls by just improvising or altering stitch patterns to suit what I'm wanting. Sometimes I go simple, because some yarns are so fluffy you can't really see the pattern. But mostly I go with cheaper yarns(acrylic) because they wash well, and that's all I can afford at the time. Usually I make up my own repetitive pattern, so I can work without as much concentration. The more tired, or more stressed I am(maybe getting older) that I want patterns to be simpler. I am taking care of my mother whose been diagnosed with dementia last year, and that can take a lot of my time. Aricept has helped tremendously. My mother has crochet a long time and taught me, now she can only chain stitch and I try to help her but she confuses easily. She said it's like trying to learn all over again. Breaks my heart. Sorry to go off on a tangent. Thanks again for your suggestion!