Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  4
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
    Post Thanks / Like

Is one brand of yarn better than another?

I like some yarns better than others. I use Red Heart alot, but get frustrated because it seems to like to split on me when I am wrapping the yarn on my crochet hook.

What are your thoughts about different brands of yarn? Is one brand of yarn better than another?

2. Thanks Su O thanked for this post
    Likes AudreyL liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I like Red Heart yarn too but after working with the softer yarns I like them better. Some of the Red Heart yarn seems to be harsh on my hands.

Post Thanks / Like
    I tend to use Red Heart the most since it most affordable (especially on sale) but I also like Bernat Super Value but that has gotten very high. I have bought Herrschners Worsted, doesn't seem to be too bad and Caron One Pounders.

Red Heart seems to be getting softer again, though some variegated seems to be more rough until you wash it.

The softer yarns like Simply Soft are nice but I find them (at least in my little humble opinion) not substantial enough for some of the projects I do.

Roe

5. Likes little drummer liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I have just finished two afghans with Simply Soft and you have to be very careful weaving the ends in because it is more slippery than some others. I used to buy a really nice soft yarn at Walmart but of course it was discontinued!

Post Thanks / Like
    I guess that all depends from a project we plan to crochet. With my amigurumi the best yarn is :Super Saver and sometimes Caron 1 pound. That yarns it is strong for my tight crocheting. And I have a big selection of colors.
    When my granddaughters were little and I was crocheting: hats, scarf's, ponchos, skirts, sweaters, blankets and other stuff for them. I was never using those scratchy and hard yarns like Super Saver. They had to be soft and sometimes "fancy" also! LOL.
    Krys
    PS: I don't think that Super Saver is suitable even for adults to wear that.

8. Likes vickat liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I have the same problem with "Red Heart Yarn", it splits. drives me crazy! I think I'll check around..

Post Thanks / Like
    I love to crochet with natural fibers, and since I'm rather slow, and therefore don't crochet much in the way of volume, I can splurge on some of the lovely silk or wool blends. I know RedHeart holds up well, but I find it harsh on my hands. I have been making an afghan with it and keep putting it aside because my hands get sore.
    Auntie Alice

Post Thanks / Like
    I like " I love this Yarn". It works so well with projects. Esp. Amigurumi or stuffed toys. I try to get it when it's on sale. If can't,I will use my next favorite Simply Soft.

12. Likes vickat liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I think Super Saver is good for Christmas (small stockings etc.) The company seems to lost its Quality. I've used Super Soft, Caron and the yarn is "Great!".

Post Thanks / Like
    I to find difference in yarns. I don't know if one is better than another. I am pretty picky with which yarns I use.