Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  20
Page 4 of 7 First ... 23456 ... Last
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Greeter Eva View Post
    When I was about 10 or 11, my Mom taught me to crochet edges to pillow cases & hankies. All Mom knew was that as she could not read or write.A teacher from their neighborhood school had taught her. Then she started buying me crochet books & patterns & I taught myself to crochet to written patterns. I am now 73 years old, so I have crocheted for about 62 years.I have crocheted tablecloths, doilies,little girl's dresses , ponchos, vests, afghans, & anything you can imagine. My Mom & I were both left handed. We think that is why she did not learn to read or write. She was beaten for being left handed.
    Hi Eva,
    Your Mom was beaten for being left handed? Why?
    Jean Marie

Post Thanks / Like
    My Grandfather was born in and went to school in United States between 1900 and 1908. He was left handed. At that time the teachers taught students how to write with their right hand. I you wrote left handed, they would strike the back of your hand with a ruler as punishment. It was painful so he learned to write with his right hand. Years later in life 1921 he had his right arm crushed in a train accident and he went back to writing with his left hand.
    I never could understand the reasoning on that policy but that was the way it was.
    Sharing is Caring. For Free Crochet Patterns Visit me at:
    http://idealdelusions.blogspot.com/

Post Thanks / Like
    I started knitting and crocheting when I was 20 years old. I taught myself from a Knit/Crochet Instrution book. I have been at it for 50 years and it is always my de-stress time. I'm just now having time to get involved with other knitters/crocheters and share. I'm new at this so bear with me as I learn the ropes.
    Bev

Post Thanks / Like
    Greeter Eva, When I started school in 43, The teacher wouldn't let me use my left hand to write. But when my dad found out about it, he took me to school the next day. I can still hear him talking to her. He said I was left handed and I would learn to write left handed. If she didn't want to teach me then I would go to another school. She said all right but I wouldn't write upside down like a lot of left handers do. She taught me to turn the paper so that it was laying the same way as my hand. When I learned to crochet, I look at the right handed directions and do them with the left hand. It never says to do them from one side to the other. My Dad was an eighth grade school teacher. He stood about six- three or four and weighed about 250 lbs Hope you enjoy the forum. Margaret

Post Thanks / Like
    I love your story and it will be inspiring to other left-handers. My granddaughter is left-handed and I taught her to knit by having her sit and face me. That way, everything was going the right way for her to see.

Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry was double post
    Last edited by DorisAnn; 07-10-2014 at 10:43 AM.
    Sharing is Caring. For Free Crochet Patterns Visit me at:
    http://idealdelusions.blogspot.com/

Post Thanks / Like
    I was first taught when I was around 10 yrs old. I am now 51 so along time ago..lol

Post Thanks / Like

learning to crochet

My great Aunt taught me to crochet, I have been crocheting since I was 11 or so. I have crocheted for the past 48 years, and hopefully will continue another 40 or so! I have COPD, physical activities are pretty much out for me, so crocheting is my first love, well besides my kids and grandkids!

Post Thanks / Like
    I gave been crocheting since my Grandma taught me when I was about 10 yrs old which is about 46 yrs ago. OMG Can't believe it gas been that long. Sadly my daughter & now my granddaughters have no interest.

Post Thanks / Like
    I taught myself to crochet from a pattern book when my middle son was a baby. So, it is going on forty years now.