Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  20
Page 3 of 7 First 12345 ... Last

Post Thanks / Like
    Mom taught me to crochet when I was 9. Then did a little in hi school .Quit & started again about 10 yrs ago. I'm now 77.I make hats & a few afghans. Love the afghan pattern c2c. So easy to do & quick.It's a corner to corner pattern.

2. Likes little drummer liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I am self taught and as I have said previously, a left-handed crocheter at that! I have been crocheting for about 33 years now. Many afghans, sweaters for family and such. Now most of my crocheting is for the homeless and other donations for charity. Still love to do it as much as possible.

4. Likes little drummer liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Am almost 66yrs old. Taught myself to crochet 43yrs ago while my daughter took her nap on my in-laws living room rug and I sat cross-legged on their couch. Learned to knit in France when I was 12.

6. Likes little drummer liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Nana's next door neighbour taught me to knit when I was 5. I loved to make outfits for my baby doll. I taught myself to crochet when I was 21. It helped keep me awake on long overnight flights when all the passengers were asleep. So I have been knitting for 62 years (and sewing too) and crocheting for 46 years.

8. Likes little drummer liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Barbara G. View Post
    Hello members! This is a great time to share!

So how long have you been crocheting or knitting?

I learned to crochet when I was in college just out of high school which was maybe 28 years ago, but I am not going to tell you my age! LOL

So, how about you?
    I learned when I was in the 9th grade in home ec in 1981. I have only been crocheting Easter baskets, & throws. Till 2013 when I started crocheting props for my new Grandson, this year I have started crocheting purses. Now I would love to learn how to crochet dolls for my grandkids.
    Last edited by tammyrannyof4; 07-04-2014 at 09:25 PM. Reason: left out year I started crocheting.

10. Likes little drummer liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Barbara, just reading through posts, can't sleep it's almost 2:30 am!! I was talking to a friend yesterday and she told me the funniest thing about learning to crochet I just have to tell you. She taught herself to knit years ago so decided she could also teach herself to crochet so she bought a book that taught crocheting. She reads through the book a little and decides to try it. She likes it and is doing pretty good. She actually got really good at it and a friend wanted her to teach them. Several people that have watched her crochet would tell her she crocheted funny!! Her friend can't follow the book so she buys a DVD and they both are watching the DVD when my friend says well that's not right and her friend says no no you don't do that! They watch a little longer and my friend finally says oh wait this is how I do it. They had gotten to the part that said this is what you do if you want to learn to crochet left handed! Yep she taught herself to crochet left handed , she is not left handed!! Can you believe it! We laughed so hard about this !! She eventually taught her friend then went back and learned how to crochet right handed lol. I thought you might get a chuckle out of that!! Hugs Winnie

12. Likes AuntieAlice liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Started crafting, embroidery, knitting, crocheting--any craft my Mom did, I learned. That was about 68 years ago!

14. Likes little drummer liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi, I'm Shelah and I have been crocheting off and on since I was 12 or so. My Grandmother, who brought up, was an avid crocheter and always had something going. I don't remember her taking any of it with her anywhere, but she edged hankerchiefs, made doilies, and even crocheted a beautiful green dress for me when I was in college. She made baby afghans, baby sweaters, etc. She was always crocheting and it was just natural that I picked it up.
    Oh, by the way, she was left-handed and so was I, so I had not trouble learning. Happy needlework!!

Post Thanks / Like

how Long Have You Crocheted?

When I was about 10 or 11, my Mom taught me to crochet edges to pillow cases & hankies. All Mom knew was that as she could not read or write.A teacher from their neighborhood school had taught her. Then she started buying me crochet books & patterns & I taught myself to crochet to written patterns. I am now 73 years old, so I have crocheted for about 62 years.I have crocheted tablecloths, doilies,little girl's dresses , ponchos, vests, afghans, & anything you can imagine. My Mom & I were both left handed. We think that is why she did not learn to read or write. She was beaten for being left handed.

Post Thanks / Like
    I taught myself to crochet with a Coats and Clark "How to" book in 1957 (yep I am old) and thanks to my mom and my little sis I still have the first afghan I ever made. It is awful of course but has never lost a stitch and is still in daily service. The book was about 35 cents, and the yarn was 29 cents for a 4 oz skein. I had $5.00 birthday money burning a hole in my pocket and I spent it all on the book, hook and yarn saving only 5 cents to pay for my ride home on the streetcar.
    Sharing is Caring. For Free Crochet Patterns Visit me at:
    http://idealdelusions.blogspot.com/