Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  2
    Post Thanks / Like

making hats and flag afghan

Can anyone tell me the best way to make a hat. I have attempted to make a few and they turn out too big. Also I tried to make a flag afghan and it started out all right but by the time i got to the top it started getting shorter can anyone tell me what i might have done wrong. Thank you so very much

Post Thanks / Like

3. Thanks sonnetta thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    thank you so much. I tried using a pattern. I dont know what i did wrong. It started out even but then when i got to the middle it started to get uneven. I checked out these sites you gave me and they are wonderful.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Sonetta,
    glad you like them.

Post Thanks / Like
    If you are using a pattern for the hat and it's coming out too big, then it might be best to use a smaller hook.

7. Likes sonnetta liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you so much. I will try to do that next time.

Post Thanks / Like

dawnmfh

for crochet hats: I start out with a row of foundation single crochet instead of a chain that way I can measure the length of my foundation (stretched) to match the size of my head. I then add or subtract a stitch or two to get the tightness I desire and the number of stitches needed to complete the pattern repeat if there is one. As for the afghan if the rows are getting shorter you are probably skipping the stitch at the base of the turning chain or missing a stitch at the end of the row in the top of the turning chain.skipping either one of these stitches will cause the work to get narrower. It is always a good idea to count the number of stitches on a row occasionally, I try to count every row on a new pattern and at least every 5 rows on something easier so if I make a mistake there is less to tear out. Hope this helps.

Post Thanks / Like
    when I am making a hat and starting at the crown I start with the magic loop and ch 1 6 sc in loop and you can either do in rounds or in rows. I make the crown about 2 1/2" for a baby and 3 to 3 1/2 for adults I usually drop to one size smaller hook to make the sides come down more quickly and make the hat from 5 1/2 to 6 1/2 or how ever big I want to make the cap. This is just a basic hat pattern
    crocheting my life away for kids & charity

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sonnetta View Post
    Can anyone tell me the best way to make a hat. I have attempted to make a few and they turn out too big. Also I tried to make a flag afghan and it started out all right but by the time i got to the top it started getting shorter can anyone tell me what i might have done wrong. Thank you so very much
    Here is a great website:
    Creating Beautiful Things in Life: How to properly size crochet hats. Chart for correct sizing, including Magic Circle Sizes. This chart may be helpful.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you very much for these tips. I have only been crocheting a year. I tried to make my daughter a hat last year and it was way to big and I followed the pattern so I didnt know what I did wrong but now i know what to do. Thank you all. Hugs to all

13. Likes little drummer liked this post