Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  47
Page 3 of 5 First 12345 Last

Post Thanks / Like
    I wouldn't take my crochet to a social event, but always take it other places, like doctor's offices. I would ask your friend who invited you to the cookout about bringing your crochet. She might be okay with it, but she could also not want you to either. Why not ask her and find out how she feels about it?

Post Thanks / Like
    I also take my crocheting with me everywhere I go, except church or a funeral!! I am sure that some people think that my hook is attached to my hand or that I sleep with it. I take it anywhere that I think I will have a few spare minutes. When we go to someone's home for a meal or a party, after we have eaten and then sat and talked for a while, and the attention turns to the game on tv or the men and women split to different rooms, I bring out my small project. I can still be social and get something done at the same time. Many times I will finish a dishcloth I am working on and leave it for my hostess when I go home. I also carry an extra hook and a small ball of yarn with me in case someone mentions that they would like to learn to crochet sometime. I have taught a number of football wives to crochet on superbowl Sun.! It can be a great conversation-starter or even lead to an unexpected sales opportunity if you make items for sale. If everyone wants to play games or cards, or if it appears that someone is offended, I put it away. It's not a replacement for social contact, it's just a good way to pass the time.

Post Thanks / Like
    I went to the cook out, left my crochet in the car. We ate socialized and after some people left one of the other ladies pulled out her crochet and that was all the rest of us needed....her hee.

Everyone had a good time and got some crochet time in.
    Judi g

4. Likes AuntieAlice liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Why not ask the hostess. Since she's a crocheter, she'll understand the question without being offended. But if you bring it out without asking, she might be offended.

6. Thanks alidparris@gmail.com thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Judi Gums View Post
    I know I can post this question here and you will understand. I have been invited to a cookout the end of the month by a good friend who is also a crocheter.

My question is to you all .....Is it rude to take my crochet along and work on it there? I don't know her family very well, but we have met before. Summer before last I went without my crochet and the conversation lagged a lot for me. I can crochet and hold my own in a conversation with the best of them I think. So I wouldn't be hiding in a corner ignoring others.

Just wondering how others would handle a situation like this.

Judi G
    JUDI , I always take crocheting every where go except to church ,so ahead everyone want to see your work.

8. Thanks alidparris@gmail.com thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I always take mine with me I may not work on it but is handy and a lot of times others want to see what you are doing
    crocheting my life away for kids & charity

Post Thanks / Like
    I think that may be situational. I would definitely take it, but leave it in the car until you see how it is going. Since your friend also crochets, it may be a good time to introduce someone else to it. You never know. Regardless, have a great time.

Post Thanks / Like
    I will be going to a picnic tomorrow and another one on Saturday. I plan to take my crochet project along. Since I am still on restrictions from breaking my ankle in February, I am not able to join in the games, etc. With my crocheting, the hostesses for the picnics won't be feeling helpless trying to "entertain" me. I have enjoyed reading all of your responses to this question. Since I don't go away from the house very much, it's not been an issue. Now, I feel confident taking my project along and certain that it won't be a problem. Everyone can do their own thing and not feel anyone has to sit with me because I am not able to join in the activities. Hugs, Shelly
    The story of The Passion of Christ in one flower....

12. Likes Susan2014 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Since she also crochets, I don't think she would mind. It may generate more conversation.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Shelly using Waynes Winder ? How is he and his lovely wife? You are getting out that good as long as restrictions are met. I know you will that 5 last months has been a night-mare Im sure. Your on my Sp. Prayer List & Patti, Faye and few more. I hope to see some GD pics from this summer, hint hint. Daughter is doing ok as well as that sweet Hubby. Hook away Church is a Blessing in so many ways. God Bless & Hugs xoxoxox SMJ