Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  100
Page 2 of 10 First 1234 ... Last
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah. I can see that being in Florida really wouldn't be conducive to crocheting with the warm stuff. I LOVE shawls and stoles...not to wear them, , but to make them.

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Charles Voth;124845]Afghans! Wow. I have yet to stitch one. Always seems like a daunting project. I knit a baby blanket 30 years ago and it took me what felt like forever to a teenage boy, so I think in my mind I have a preconception that afghans would take forever, even though I know in crochet, it would go a lot faster. Do you share photos here or on Flickr or Ravelry of your afghans?[/QUOTE]

Actually crochet afghans can go quickly, depending on the pattern and stitches and yarn used. I have posted on here several pictures of afghans I have done.

Roe

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm a little new to the site. I tried to find a way I could look for photos you had posted with a search filter, but no luck. Is there an easy way to look at people's past posts with photos?

Post Thanks / Like
    That I don't know.

But if you go into Pictures, some of my posts are entitled "Posted these in wrong thread, Items donated from hobby club" " Items donated to different places from hobby club" ," Second group of donated items", "Some more projects for the hobby club", "A few more completed projects", "Just a couple more pics.''

While they are not intricate, for the causes we do, we try to do more or less basic afghans but make them pretty.

Hope you can get to see some of what I have done for charity.

Roe

Post Thanks / Like
    Another warm weather dweller! Makes sense that you wouldn't work a lot of the heavier stuff, but I see that you still do afghans. So what do you make snowflakes and snowmen out of, thread?
    Thanks for sharing your "votes" !

6. Likes teresah liked this post
    Clearwater, Florida USA Born and raised in Bklyn, NY, lived in Tx., Mi., Calif.,Ariz., and Mexico
    Post Thanks / Like
    CV, I am a snowbaby, and only live here kicking and screaming.. I have always loved snowmen and snowflakes.. Some of my best friends are flakes.. LOL My entire house is decorated with them, to include icicles hanging off the roof.. There is always a special day for me to light them.. Like Sun-Sat.. My neighbors think I am nuts, but they really like it.. People come to my home and think I forgot to take down the Christmas decorations.. Then they see it at Christmas...LOL so that's my story and I'm sticking to it...LOL Teresa

8. Likes Charles Voth liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

My Favorites

___ cardigan sweaters (adult sized)
    ___ pullover sweaters (adult sized)
    ___ pullover tees/summer sweaters/short sleeves (adult sized)
    ___ vests (button up) (adult sized)
    ___ vests (pull over) (adult sized)
    __1_ shawls, shawlettes, stoles
    __9_ children/baby clothes
    __4_ scarves
    _3__ hats
    __2_ afghans
    __5_ thread items (doilies, etc)
    __10_ toys, doll clothing, amigurumi
    __7_ washcloths
    __8_ Other? _fingerless gloves__________________
    ___ Other? ___________________
    I teach a crochet class at our local Senior Center, and we crochet mainly for charity. Afghans go to Veterans' hospitals, prayer shawls to our local prayer shawl ministry, the rest we crochet to sell and make more money for yarn!

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for adding fingerless gloves to the list!

Veteran's Hospitals! What a great idea for afghan recipients. I'll have to see whether we have something like that here in Canada. I think we don't have specialized hospitals because of our healthcare system, but I'm sure there are hospices, or maybe programs that are organized in hospitals close to our air, naval, and army bases. Thanks for the inspiration. I'm going to look into that!

What do you like to make shawls and stoles out of? Worsted weight or something finer? I love sport weight yarn and solomon's knot patterns. They remind me of a shawl my mom used to have.

Cheers!
    Charles

Post Thanks / Like
    _5__ cardigan sweaters (adult sized)
    _6__ pullover sweaters (adult sized)
    _5__ pullover tees/summer sweaters/short sleeves (adult sized)
    ___ vests (button up) (adult sized)
    ___ vests (pull over) (adult sized)
    _1__ shawls, shawlettes, stoles
    ___ children/baby clothes
    _3__ scarves
    _2__ hats
    _2__ afghans
    ___ thread items (doilies, etc)
    _4__ toys, doll clothing, amigurumi
    ___ washcloths
    ___ Other? _fingerless gloves/mitts__________________
    ___ Other? ___________________

I both knit and crochet so am always busy with one project or another. Most of my crocheted items go to charity, baby blankets to a local hospital, afghans to a local Veterans group, scarves and hats wherever they are needed. Knitted shawls are my all time favorite project. I generally use fingering to DK weight yarn, though I will occasionally use lace weight. I'm currently working on Hypernova in DK Frolicking Feet colorway Rugosa Ridge. I'm dragondrummer on Ravelry if you want to check out my progress so far. Fun topic, Charles!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Charles Voth View Post
    Thanks for adding fingerless gloves to the list!

Veteran's Hospitals! What a great idea for afghan recipients. I'll have to see whether we have something like that here in Canada. I think we don't have specialized hospitals because of our healthcare system, but I'm sure there are hospices, or maybe programs that are organized in hospitals close to our air, naval, and army bases. Thanks for the inspiration. I'm going to look into that!

What do you like to make shawls and stoles out of? Worsted weight or something finer? I love sport weight yarn and solomon's knot patterns. They remind me of a shawl my mom used to have.

Cheers!
    Charles
    We usually use worsted weight yarn, since most of our yarn is donated, or bought with the proceeds from our sales. Also, we do NOT use wool! Many people are allergic to it! If we get baby or sport weight yarn donated, we use it, but don't usually buy it unless we have a special project for it! There are SO many patterns out there for shawls!! And you can also adapt afghan patterns to the size shawl we make; our local Hospice prefers 20" X 60". The afghans we make for the Veteran's hospitals need to be 35" X 35", so that they won't get caught in wheels of the wheelchairs.
    In the past 4 years, our club has sent over 3,000 hast to children's hospitals, over 800 lap afghans to Veteran's hospitals, and almost 100 prayer shawls to our Hospice. I am VERY proud of my "Girls" in our club!!

13. Likes dragondrummer, blueeyes68 liked this post