Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Post Thanks / Like

Question about crocheting from a chart

I saw a Dallas Cowboys afghan on another forum and the lady posted the pattern was no longer available. I found a cross stitch chart (size 127 stitches x 96 stitches over 14 count fabric) for the helmet and words. The lady that made the one I saw said she did it in sc and hdc and it was 250 x 260 and fit a double bed. She didn't say what was done in single crochet and what was done in hdc. I was planning to make the helmet 127 stitches x 96 stitches and the words 18 stitches high and put a top and bottom border. Should the main body where the words and helmet are be done in single crochet? Do you think it would be distorted if I used hdc? I'm planning to make it 5' x 7' so would single crochet make it too heavy? What I see in my head doesn't always work so well when I try it, so all comments and suggestions are welcome.

Thanks, Susan

Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry but I do not know
    ɹǝʞɐɯ ʎןıop ɐsıɹɐן

Post Thanks / Like
    I tried crochet from a cross stitch pattern once and I did not do such a good job. I thought if I used all sc it would turn out the same but it did not. You might be in for quite a project. Best of luck to you and if you do get it done and it comes out great - post it for us and how you did it. Have fun!

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey, Susan! Is your plan to crochet the design INTO the afghan? I would be tempted to crochet a plain one in a stitch that would be sort of square(like hdc) and then pretend it was a big piece of hardanger cloth and cross stitch the design from the chart onto it.... It also seems like a good possibility that there would be other crochet patterns out there for Dallas Cowboy stuff that you might be able to use. Good luck!

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello
    Try Yarnhookers,com she had one
    she also has videos on how to read the chart and make it larger to read
    she says to go to here etsy store to buy the patterns Crochet Graph Afghan Pattern Charts & MORE by YarnHookers on Etsy go to her web page to videos Afghan Crochet Graph Pattern Chart

Goodsmith.com also has cowboy graphghans too
    www.googsmith.com select patterns from the right side the type in crochet/cowboys

hope this helps

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah, I plan to crochet the design into the afghan. Leave it to me to want something difficult LOL

Post Thanks / Like
    Crocheting from charts is very easy. Just do the afghan or whatever project in Tunisian Crochet. Very easy to add designs, words, etc.

Post Thanks / Like
    It depends on how you want it to look. sc will be thicker and hdc is more of a flatter stitch. a puff stitch would stand out more. If you decrease any stitches you can decrease the reg. way or use the invisible decrease depending on how you want it to look.