Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1

Post Thanks / Like

Handbag Pattern Help

I have a pattern for "simple crochet handbag" and I'm not sure if I understand what it means:
    chain 35
    row 1 - sc in 3rd chain
    row 2 ch 2, dc across bottom side of chain (at the end of this row, you should be back where you started in row 1) I don't understand what exactly is meant by this. Can anyone help me understand this? I'd appreciate it. I really love the look of the purse

Post Thanks / Like
    You are going to crochet on the opposite side of the chain. When you have done all the stitches called for in the pattern on the starting chain you simply continue around and make the stitches in the opposite side. You will see one loop along that opposite side and that is where you put your hook and when you continue around you will come to the start of the row which has turned into a round instead if a row. I think someone else may be able to explain this better than I did but I tried. When you crochet this way the starting chain becomes the middle of the bottom and you work around it and it makes a nice oval or a round bottom.

3. Likes missro007 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Handbag Pattern Help

This means that you turn Row 1 upside down, & working through the beginning chain, continue working DC's across to the end. You'll have created a flat rectangular shape with the beginning ch sandwiched in the middle of 2 dc rows. I hope that makes sense.
    Last edited by CherylDD; 12-14-2013 at 01:21 PM. Reason: Missed one crucial instruction.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi, did you get your handbag finished?

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello sassy0210,
    The other ladies that replied gave you good instructions. I now the first time I made a crochet bag I was confused what they meant. Once I saw a video of that it made sense,
    I found two videos for you to see how to do the bottom of the bag and how they turn it. Each end you may need to put a marker so you know when to increase you stitches.
    Hope this helps
    spoula
    videos below

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Spoula,
    Thanks for helping. If you look above her avatar name, her post is dated December 2013. I was looking at some old posts. Sorry if I confused you.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Jean Marie, I stay confused a lot lately. I never look at the dates. Since it popped up I just thought I would try to help her. The joke is on me. ha I need to pay more attention before I reply.

Well they are nice videos I wish I had found them when I was making my first handbag. I was confused too about going down the other side.

I hope you are doing well.
    Spoula

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, I'm doing well.