Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  9

Post Thanks / Like

I need a sounding board

I am thinking about trying to start a new program at church. It is an extension of prayer shawl ministries. I would like to call it [B]Christian Craft Circle[B]. I hope to get others involved this way. I want to not only do prayer shawls but hats and other items including toys for children in hospitals.
    After reading the story of Hazel on facebook I got this idea in my head and even emailed a person who could help.

I am hoping this is a good idea and I am planning on writing up a proposal for the pastor and deacons of my church. If no one at church want to do it I will look for helpers elsewhere in the area.
    I am not too weird; everyone else is just too normal.

Post Thanks / Like
    Is the Prayer Shawl Ministries a licensed organization? I'm not sure if I heard that it was and you had to get permission from the organization to start a "Prayer Shawl Ministry" and follow their guidlelines. I started a yarn group at my church but we make whatever we want to. We just started on Oct 9, 2013. My hope is that one day we will work on projects for the needy. Right now I am working on getting more people interested in joining and teaching them to knit or crochet (their choice). The ladies that come are not members of my church. All I did was ask the Pastor if we could start a yarn group, he said "no problem", then took the idea before council and they approved it and our group was started. We call ourselves the Yarnoholics. I have 3 ladies that come regularly every other week is when we meet. I'm not pushing anything on anyone but giving this endeavor a chance to grow before attempting group projects. Good luck with your group. It is always a good idea to help others who are in need so don't be discouraged but forge ahead, you have a great idea...now run with it (maybe God is waiting for you to be the leader?) PRAYERS and HUGS, Shelly
    The story of The Passion of Christ in one flower....

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a friend on Facebook that has started a page - In "Ernie's" Name. She is crocheting hats then puts little notes on them & places then anywhere that someone in need might pick them up. It has really spread wide & far in a matter of a few weeks. People are doing this all over the country & even over seas! They post on the page & even put pictures of the hat being placed somewhere. Several people that have found the hats have came & told their story on the page & thanked them for placing the hat. One lady from KY, her story was so touching! She said she now has a gift to give her daughter & it happened to be in her favorite colors! God works in wonderful ways!! Your making & giving of hats or lap afghans or shawls is right on! Go for it.
    Please, check out the page. https://www.facebook.com/inerniesname
    Judge each day not by the harvest you reap but by the seeds you plant.

4. Likes seashells_Shelly liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Phaedra, 4 years ago we were with a group of seniors in a "senior center." I was going to a VA hospital. I called the group doing volunteer work and asked if they needed afghans. He told me they would rather have hats. Most of the older men smoked but they had to go outside to do so. And They lose the heat from their bodies out of the tops of their heads. so they needed beanies ,hats of any kind. So I agreed ,then asked how many he needed. As he wanted to give them for Christmas , I had less than a month. He said , Oh,600 would do. I went back to the Senior Center and as it was ""Play day" they played card games" I talked to the ladies. Every one either knitted or crocheted Some used the round loom. But we all made hats. The day to take them to the Hospital was Dec15. I had washed and dried all the hats and we had 569 hats. That shows us what a gang of women can do in a pinch. Those ladies worked their hearts out So give the ladies a reason and they will help you. Don't be too sad if the church ladies are already into something. Find a senior center or even a nursing home. Assisted living homes can help You have good ideas. Do you have many homeless people there? And something that I have wondered about, what would happen if you gave a homeless person a hook and some yarn if she knows how to crochet? Just about all of these ladies at the forum have said they were taught at a young age, why can't some of those people know too. Let us know how you make out. HUGGS Margaret

6. Likes seashells_Shelly, mflyman liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    thanks for all your input it gives me hope. I really want to do this maybe I could get younger people involved and also teach them a craft.
    I am not too weird; everyone else is just too normal.

8. Likes seashells_Shelly, Dustygirl, mflyman liked this post