Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  10
Page 1 of 3 123 Last
    Post Thanks / Like

Wink The Importance of Turning Chains

Some are aware of how I shudder at the thought of turning chains, not my fav thing to do.

I found this place with an excellent tutorial on the turning chains. This gal put together a post on understanding just about everything you may need to know. She's included some very good photos of swatches made with turning chains and some made without them. The photos very clearly show the difference! Obviously turning chains should never be ignored, lol!

So take a look and see what this gal has put together.

Crochet Spot » Blog Archive » Crochet Basics: Understanding Turning Chains - Crochet Patterns, Tutorials and News
    Freedom is not the right to do as you please, but the liberty to do as you ought!

2. Likes tammyc77, peache1 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks. This was really helpful to me, and I hope to many others too.

Post Thanks / Like
    i always wondered why you had to do them now i know why. Thank you!

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for that site, I think I have been doing it wrong all the time, I will have to check, . When I reach the end of the row I turn and then make the chain 3 am I suppose to chain 3 then turn? Maybe I shouldn't try to figure it out in the middle of the night.

Post Thanks / Like
    For my double crochets I think I will try to chain only two. I hate that loopy look at the end of each row. MeerKat, I always chain 3 then turn. I don't know which i right. Does it make a difference?

7. Likes MeerKat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Cricket, I usually do 2 also, but since they were talking mainly about turning I just said three. I wonder which way you are suppose to do? I don't know whether it makes a difference. But I have never tried the other way will try it tomorrow couldn't do it today, My husband has been giving me fits, he just won't listen to me. He is an invalid and I am taking care of him.
    Will try the chain 2, then turn tomorrow if he is behaving.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank You for sharing. It was very helpful.

Post Thanks / Like
    Men are babies when they get sick. Even with just a cold. I can't imagine how it would be to have a husband who is an invalied. It would take a lot of patience, but then again, think how it is for them. Bless your heart for taking care of him like that. Let me knoiw out it turns out for you chaining just two for a double crochet.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you for link, I am going to refer my daughter in law, she wants to learn term. She is left handed so it will be nice for her to see left handed pictures.

12. Likes N/A liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    If you've ever noticed that some patterns state at the end of one row to ch 3 and turn, while other patterns state at the beginning of the next row to ch 3. I don't think it matters that much. I've also tried just chaining 2 in double crochet, which makes a tighter finish on the sides. Or I suppose you could take care to do the turning chain really tight, not as loose as your other stitches.

The main thing to keep in mind is to relax and have fun, don't worry about which is right and which is wrong. Play with it a little bit until you find something that works for YOU!

14. Likes N/A, MeerKat liked this post