Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  10
Page 2 of 3 First 123 Last
    Post Thanks / Like
    peache1 Hi there Im Susan M J a senior & live in Minnesota with COLD, SNOW & WIND Brrrrr. See Texas has its cold to?
    DIL wants to learn to crochet have her check out You Tube as Videos for left handed are ther and so helpful. Good Luck SMJ

Post Thanks / Like
    Hmmmm, I'm still having problems with turning. I've got the chain down pat. That's not the issue. In the tutorial, when chaining, the photo shows to make the double crochet in the "same" stitch. I've always made it in the next stitch…

So, color me still confused.

3. Likes Poinciana liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by OKWTink View Post
    Hmmmm, I'm still having problems with turning. I've got the chain down pat. That's not the issue. In the tutorial, when chaining, the photo shows to make the double crochet in the "same" stitch. I've always made it in the next stitch…

It is so easy to get confused! I think sometimes I'm living in a State of Confusion, LOL!

Usually when it says to double crochet in the "same stitch", that's what you should do.

I'm working on a new project now and the turning chain is critical to the overall pattern. If it wasn't, I would use this trick... it solves that problem of leaving a gap (hole) along the edges. The trick is when you do the chain 3, instead of doing a regular chain 3, you do it this way instead ... chain 1, single crochet in the same stitch and then chain 1 again. No more holes along the edges.

I can't use the trick because my current pattern relies on that 'hole' being there.

In answer to those who want to know if it makes any difference if you chain 3 and then turn, or turn first and then chain 3. I've never been able to see any difference at all. I've made swatches to determine which way is "right." So it seems it's just a personal preference which way you want to do it.

(I hope I wrote this reply clearly.)
    Freedom is not the right to do as you please, but the liberty to do as you ought!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Susan M J View Post
    peache1 Hi there Im Susan M J a senior & live in Minnesota with COLD, SNOW & WIND Brrrrr. See Texas has its cold to?
    DIL wants to learn to crochet have her check out You Tube as Videos for left handed are ther and so helpful. Good Luck SMJ
    How nice that there are videos for those who are left-handed! I'm left-handed and my pea brain has to 'translate' what a right-handed stitcher is doing! So I don't look at the videos. Too much input.
    Freedom is not the right to do as you please, but the liberty to do as you ought!

Post Thanks / Like
    Yea, I have been crocheting for many years,now. I sometimes still have problems with turning chains of all of them. It is a good idea to have the video to watch it. It sure helped me out a lot. Thanks, I needed it.

7. Likes MeerKat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by OKWTink View Post

I've been thinking about what you wrote and have realized if you have always made it in the next stitch without any problems, that has to be okay. One of the fascinating things about creating with yarn and a hook, this thing we call 'crocheting', is it should be fun to do. If we stuck to every dang rule nobody would get creative and come up with a new technique!

Nite, all...I have a good book waiting to be picked back up.

9. Likes MeerKat liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Good nite you all!

Post Thanks / Like

No Gap Turning Chain

Turning chains are important to get the correct height for the next row. However - gaps are ugly. Here is what I do:

single crochet: turn, ch 1, sc in the first (same) stitch
    half double crochet: turn, ch 1, ch 1 and pull it up to the height of a hdc, hdc in first (same) stitch
    double crochet: turn, ch 1, ch 1 and pull it up the height of the dc, dc in the first (same) stitch

Not only does this eliminate the ugly gaps at the beginning of the row, it gives you a stitch to work into when you come back - no more trying to put a stitch in the 2nd or 3rd chain of a turning chain.

12. Likes N/A, mash52, MeerKat, Poinciana liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Ty for the info. I am working on a afghan and the instructions said not to do a turning chain. I followed the instructions but it was getting tight and a bunched up. I couldn't figure out why. I thought it was something I was doing wrong. Do you know how many times I took the dang thing apart just to have the same problem over and over again? To many to count!!! I am now re doing the afghan with a turning chain. It is going much better...

14. Likes N/A liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Tigg Im glad you have solved thatpre. Especially at this RUSH Xmas Gifts aaah !! HUGS Can we get a peek when DONE ???